Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Home made Gun Safe???

I was thinking last night about building my own gun safe. I have thought of a wood exterior and Metal (Aluminum or steal) interior. Than I started to think of how the inside would be setup, I.E lights, shelves and storage for pistols and rifles. So what is the condenses on building your own over buying one. I would rather spend the money on more weapons than a safe right now.

Should I build or Buy???

buy. Even a Stack on cabinet instead of a safe.

Banned

In my next house, I plan to build a walk-in one in the cellar. Kind of like a wine cellar, but for guns. It'll be in a corner of the basement and composed of a steel door (Fort Knox makes them for between 1 and 3k) and concrete/bricks or something else strong. It'll probably cost about $3-4k depending on the size I decide to make it.

This is the "home made" safe in my house I'm thinking of using:

The door:

The way in:

The storage area:

If the purpose of the safe is to protect your guns from fire and theft, you'll have to go a long way on your own (probably at great expense) before the one you make will be as good as one you can buy.
    The next NRA Basic Metallic Cartridge Reloading class will be Saturday November 15th at GOAL Headquarters in Northboro, MA More Info Here...

Never rat on your friends, and always keep your mouth shut.

pip, that reminds me of the HUGE marijuana bust in Tennessee a few years ago. I can't find any pics on Google but this guy had a nice big house and underneath he had a maze of underground rooms with his plants in different stages and stuff. All sealed off with hydrlolic doors and stuff. Very cool setup but used for the wrong purpose IMHO...could have made a nice man room or fall out shelter. Anyone else remember this?

I had thought of turning it into a "growing room". I still think armoury would be best though.

Starksboro, VT (and sometimes Waltham. For now.)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
    pip, that reminds me of the HUGE marijuana bust in Tennessee a few years ago. I can't find any pics on Google but this guy had a nice big house and underneath he had a maze of underground rooms with his plants in different stages and stuff. All sealed off with hydrlolic doors and stuff. Very cool setup but used for the wrong purpose IMHO...could have made a nice man room or fall out shelter. Anyone else remember this?
    Yup, googling the phrase "underground marijuana bust" yields LOTS of links. Here's one of the first with what looks like a good write up: http://www.ssqq.com/ARCHIVE/vinlin19.htm

Quote Originally Posted by dwarven1 View Post
    Yup, googling the phrase "underground marijuana bust" yields LOTS of links. Here's one of the first with what looks like a good write up: http://www.ssqq.com/ARCHIVE/vinlin19.htm
    Thats a huge system.
    I figured electrical useage right away, after all, pot makes the average person do stupid things like overlook a huge electric bill with erratic activity.

Getting back to the OP, you can modify a closet for a safe, thats what I did. Steel doors, reinforced walls, alarms, all good. You can even fireproof it but I skipped that. I figure if my house burns down I'll have a lot more to worry about than crispy old WW2 and WW1 era guns.

Pip, I hope your guns on the outside wont look like the inside of that thing. Be sure to use plenty of oil.
    When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills! The people it kills get up and kill! - Dr. Foster, Dawn of the Dead

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It's difficult only for others. It's the same thing when you are stupid.

Member of GOAL
    Life Member of NRA
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor & Range Safety Officer

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast