Default FFL requirements

Hey guys,I'm new to this forum and I'm in the process of applying for an FFL in Connecticut.I have heard from various sources that in order to get an FFL you need to have a "storefront".I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is true or not.The ATF's website states in the requirements that you must have a "premise to do business".My problem is I do not have a storefront...yet and I really don't want to wait 6 months for them to tell me it's denied.Also there is a $200 fee for the process that will probably not be refunded,lol.I know 3 dealers that work out of their homes so this confuses me.If anyone can help me here it would be greatly appreciated.Thank you guys in advance.

Here's some info I got 2nd hand from someone that was going to apply.

From what he told me, you can work out of your home, but the "place of business" part has to have a separate entrance, and not have an entrance to the house. My friend was concerned with zoning issues - not sure if this is something the Feds care about.

In addition, you must keep regular hours of business. I'm not sure if 10:15 to 10:20 every other Tuesday qualifies or not.

They're trying to make sure that you do this as a business, and not just as a way to get cool stuff.
    The next NRA Basic Metallic Cartridge Reloading class will be Saturday January 31, 2015 at GOAL Headquarters in Northboro, MA More Info Here...

Never rat on your friends, and always keep your mouth shut.

A shop was recently closed in my area of NJ not by the ATF but the town when they found the shop was in a residential area and not commercial. He didn't have a separate entrance but used the main entrance to his house and into the basement area.

I was just having a similar conversation with a friend that ran a shop here in NH who told me that the zoning approval was part of the AFT approval. Might want to get that right from them before much finances are devoted to the license.

Whiskey Hill sports in Warren, MA is basically just the guys detached garage, he also sells used cars, so I would expect you can do it on your own property following what EddieCoyle said as well as whatever other regulations they impose.

As far as zoning I do not know what his property is zoned as.

Are you planning on selling firearms to the public?( need store)FFL03 Are you planning on building fireams only. (No store needed) FFL07

TCAT FFL07SOT

is that true for all States.- the requirement for a storefront ?

Do you need a storefront in New Hampshire to have a FFL ?

If you're applying for an FFL, you really should be in contact with a lawyer who specializes in firearms laws. There are several here on the forum (Darius Arbabi a.k.a. Cross-X is one I know personally). They'll be able to answer your questions, and can probably help you with the application process and improve you changes of getting approved. It's a wise investment.

The whole store front BS is a local to MA and a few other states problem. In fact, the ATF could care less where your FFL is as long as you meet all the LOCAL (usually zoning, but might be environmental esp with a MFG license) requirements.

With that said, I would highly recommend NOT getting a FFL out of a residence, even if you could get one issued. There is the dreaded "inspection" problem. Once a year, during your posted business hours, the ATF can inspect your business premises. If that's your house, then you've compromised your own 4th amendment rights!

If you apply and for some reason it become apparent you won't be getting a license, the ATF will return your money, however it takes them 90 days to do it.

--EasyD

wrt zoning/business location rules - call BATFE in Hartford (I assume they have an office there, if not any CT office) and ask them directly. This can save much cost and aggravation vs. finding out later.

Agree about finding a firearms attorney. Don't think any such attorneys on NES are Licensed to practice in CT however. So contact your state pro-gun group and get some referrals. They may also know the practical answer to the above question as well.

BTW: If you mean an 03 FFL that is as a "collector" not a dealer and zoning is NOT an issue. You can't be in business with an 03 and it's restricted to old or curio firearms only, but well worth the $30/3 years. [There is an entire Sticky thread on the 03 FFL, with lots of good info if that is where your interest lies.]

Good luck, welcome to NES and thanks for your service!
    Mass. Gun Laws By and For Non-Lawyers (How To Stay Legal and Out of Trouble) - Seminar
    http://home.comcast.net/~safety-instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor and Range Officer

I believe that Clinton ended the "home" FFL dealer thing. If an individual already held a FFL before that, then a store front wasn't needed. I believe that the location has to be alarmed as well. It is easier and cheaper to get a manufacturer's license and you can still buy from the distributors but you will also be able to make anything (suppressors, MG's, etc.). Any NFA items will still have to be registered but you won't have to pay the 200.00 tax.