Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NES Member

Default 22 Stabbed in PA high school stabbing rampage

Searches, surprised not to see this referenced yet...

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/breaki...anklin-/nfWYh/

Much more at the link..

One adult and 21 students were stabbed at Franklin Regional High School in Murrysville Wednesday morning. Two other students were injured in the incident, officials said.

Police said Alex Hribal, 16, ran through the school, slashing or stabbing students with two 8-inch steak knives. The motive is under investigation.

Dressed in scrubs and socks, Hribal was arraigned and jailed without bail. Police said he was wearing scrubs because he was treated at a hospital for lacerations to his hand.

NES Member

This isn't exactly, Northeast Stabbers.

Psychos are going to be psychos! With or without guns.

NES Member

Sure, but given that the storyline is typically evil firearms are involved and then a rush to create legislation to soothe masses and stop the madness... From an objective point of view, an instance of a mass school incident NOT involving firearms is interesting for analysis and discussion.

Since the weapon of choice was Steak Knives is can help to illuminate the absurdity of legislation geared towards a "Prevention through Banning".

It also demonstrates that even when access to firearms is restricted, limited or otherwise not chosen, it does not deter the mentally ill from inflicting harm and terror on the unsuspecting.

It's sort of a real life counter argument to the "we need to ban guns to stop these school tragedies" since this teenager picked one of the most common of tools, steak knives, an item every household has multiple quantities of, and used it to inflict harm.

Will the mothers protest steak knives now? It has taken this often referenced theoretical argument into reality. Someone did this. Now what are we going to do? This is a question that runs though my mind when thinking about conversations with ppl I know who become more and more extremist as gun violence in schools becomes more widely referenced in the media.

The only difference is of course, these 22 are expected to all live, which is fantastic news and a better outcome than we'd probably see in any gun related school incident, but regardless of that - i think it is a current event topic with provocative discussion value that could further a real analysis of the problem rather than a knee jerk, ban guns, emergency legislative non-solution.

Pardon my posting in a strictly guns forum. Haha.

yeah... but at least they didn't die. If the kid had a gun there'd be 20 dead people.

that's what one of my fine co-workers threw out today. I think he was mainly trying to stir the pot though.

NES Member

What I'm seeing is that the antis are thrilled he used knives rather than the more lethal, (in their opinion,) firearm.

ETA: daddysuperfly beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
    What I'm seeing is that the antis are thrilled he used knives rather than the more lethal, (in their opinion,) firearm.

ETA: daddysuperfly beat me to it.
    glad it's not just me. But isn't that what they also said about the guy that got his head smashed in with a tire iron? "at least he didn't die...." Like getting your head crushed in and living is something to be happy about.

NES Member

Quote Originally Posted by daddysuperfly View Post
    glad it's not just me. But isn't that what they also said about the guy that got his head smashed in with a tire iron? "at least he didn't die...." Like getting your head crushed in and living is something to be happy about.
    A gun would have only escalated the situation. /sarcasm.

NES Member

I get that a portion of the population might think School Massacre with Knives=good and School Massacre with Guns=bad.
    But I would expect most parents would think School Massacre=bad and perhaps begin to lobby for effective solutions that don't involve banning static implements.

Otherwise the spin is "Moms like stabbings" right?

I know there's a deep seated pessimism that guns will always be the enemy, but the more guns are not involved with violence the more likely people begin to understand violence is the enemy and guns have only a corollary relationship.

NES Member

If all violence came from bladed instruments and guns were never involved in *bad things* would they suddenly be seen as a solution to stop all the bladed killing insanity?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast