Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default MA-LTC flying out of T F Green

After reading the posts and not finding anything particularly similar, I thought I'd post a new thread.

In November, I am flying out of T F Green to Detroit for 5 days. I want to carry while in Detroit (can't think of anyone who WOULDN'T want to!). I have begun researching the situation. By all accounts I have been able to locate thus far, Michigan will honor my MA-LTC-A so no problem there.

The issue I'm concerned about is transporting my pistol through RI to T F Green. I will be packing the pistol and ammunition and all accessories per airline regulations (unloaded, ammunition is factory box, locked in hard-sided container with the only keys in my possession, checked baggage, declared, etc. etc.). Since I am traveling THROUGH the state of Rhode Island with no intention of remaining (other than waiting in the airport for my flight to depart and waiting for my baggage when I return), will I meet the provisions of the RI firearms laws (specifically, 11-47-8a)?

Opinions? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Ted

You are all set. I spoke to a RI State Trooper assigned to the AGs office (401-274-4400) about 2 years ago as I was often traveling from MA down 146S to 95S to 195S through RI back into MA.

His response was "Massachusetts is kind of retarded, all these states should get together and make something happen." Wishful thinking. But the folks in the airport won't ask anything about an LTC or RI non-res permit so no worries.

EDIT: DISCLAIMER: You are all set under the circumstances you described. CCWing in RI w/o a resident/non-res permit is a no no.
    Last edited by patio; 09-12-2007 at 11:05 PM.

You are also covered by FOPA for the circumstances you laid out.
    Mass. Gun Laws By and For Non-Lawyers (How To Stay Legal and Out of Trouble) - Seminar
    http://home.comcast.net/~safety-instructor

NRA Certified Instructor and Range Officer

We have met the enemy and he is US!

Fairly painless at Green Airport. Last trip, SWA counter person doesn't even want to look at the gun. Just asks if it is in locked container. I fill out the firearms card and put it on top of the case (inside my luggage).

Odd thing is that the TSA screeners pass the bag through without looking inside. Note that my bag is put in the long line of bags for the x-ray machine for about 5 minutes, so they didn't know whose bag was whose.

Note that airline staff and TSA are only confirming that you are legal at their airport and for your flight out. It is fully up to you to know the CCW laws of the states that you fly to. (Sorry if this is obvious.)

On the other hand, coming back in from various states, TSA will usually ask me to open the case to "look at it."

One good suggestion given to me, that I use, is to put any large amounts of ammo in a separate clear plastic container, so that TSA can see everything without opening it. (Yes, ammo is in original boxes.)

I know it's an old thread and we've beaten this to death in similar threads, but I'm going to point out that neither the airlines nor TSA care if you are "legal" other than that the firearms are locked up properly and the ammunition is stored properly. They don't even much care about the ammunition other than it can't be in the firearm or magazines.

On my last flight out and the return, the TSA didn't even open the case with the firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by traveler57 View Post
    Note that airline staff and TSA are only confirming that you are legal at their airport and for your flight out. It is fully up to you to know the CCW laws of the states that you fly to. (Sorry if this is obvious.)
    Support Comm2A and help restore your Second Amendment Rights.

sorry. i didn't say it well enough. I meant "legal" for the TSA/Airline declarations, I didn't mean legal for CCW in their state.

so we are saying the same thing. Legal for CCW is fully up to you. and the cases (Newark Airport being the famous ones) are where somehow a local LEO happens to spot you with the firearm case and starts asking questions. the whole issue whether we are "in transit" (under FOPA) while going from car to airline counter or not.

and i have not heard any final answers (in the past few years) about Green and how they (LEOs) treat a MA CCW coming to Green and leaving on a flight.
    this info is where the forum members could be useful. are they following the NJ/NY path of super strictness or are they pro-actively allowing a MA CCW to fly out of Green?

But, I for one, do not like being the guinea pig. So I have been sticking to Logan. and BTW, i rarely have airlines or TSA actually open my locked case anymore. as long as i have done the proper TSA/airline declarations, i have been good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Garys View Post
    I know it's an old thread and we've beaten this to death in similar threads, but I'm going to point out that neither the airlines nor TSA care if you are "legal" other than that the firearms are locked up properly and the ammunition is stored properly. They don't even much care about the ammunition other than it can't be in the firearm or magazines.

On my last flight out and the return, the TSA didn't even open the case with the firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    You are also covered by FOPA for the circumstances you laid out.
    What is this FOPA that you speak of?

FOPA = Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 (IIRC on year).

It's Fed Law that allows travel between states legally with firearms (locked in container, etc.) where you are duly licensed and must travel thru "unfriendly" states where you are not licensed.

A Google Search or a search on NES should give you a ton of info including cites to the actual law.
    Mass. Gun Laws By and For Non-Lawyers (How To Stay Legal and Out of Trouble) - Seminar

Jose

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    FOPA = Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 (IIRC on year).

It's Fed Law that allows travel between states legally with firearms (locked in container, etc.) where you are duly licensed and must travel thru "unfriendly" states where you are not licensed.
    Actually, FOPA makes no mention of being licensed, duly licensed, or any other such verbiage. It only requires that you be legally able to posses the firearms you are travelling with at both the origin and destination locations.

Since "licenses to posses or own" do not exist in the majority of states, FOPA could not require so either.

Jose,

Correction duly noted!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast