Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default AR-15 bolt release jamming

I bought a bunch of Colt 20 round AR-15 mags last night from Collectors for the Appleseed shoot this weekend. I went to test them out at the range, and I had one reaccuring problem.

After loading a fresh mag, sometimes when I pushed the bolt release, the bolt wouldn't close all the way. It would get stuck somewhere around halfway closed, with the round halfway into the chamber.

It didn't happen all the time (maybe 1/4), and it was easily solved by pulling and dropping the charging handle, but I can see how it might be a pain at a shoot like this. Is there an easy fix, or do I need to replace the springs and/or followers?

I find that will occur when magazines are fully loaded. Try 19 rounds in the 20's, and see if the problem goes away. Most that I talk to use the minus one approach for all AR mags.

Make sure the bolt is lubed properly.

B
    Last edited by bpm990d; 08-10-2007 at 01:02 PM.

Is the problem with all the mags or just a few?

Could be the springs or the feed lips on the mag body are bent/damaged/cracked. If they're pre-ban USGI 20 rounders they could easily be 25 - 30 years old or more, so they've seen some use.

Remove the floorplate and give the springs and interior of the mag body a good cleaning and lite wipe down with lubricant.

Note... if you haven't done it before, it's a bit tricky removing and reinstalling the follower and spring.

Are you loading them with a full 20 rounds?

Try underloading them to 18 rounds and see if that corrects the problem.

Underloading - Brilliant! This is why I love you guys! I'll be sure to try that this weekend.

As for lubing the interior, what should I use? I thought lubing the mags will make them dirty and sticky.

Just curious as to why why you used the charging handle and not the forward assist.
    'PUGNA PRO PATRIA'

Quote Originally Posted by livinlawatertown View Post
    Underloading - Brilliant! This is why I love you guys! I'll be sure to try that this weekend.

As for lubing the interior, what should I use? I thought lubing the mags will make them dirty and sticky.
    Just a lite wipe down with CLP should be fine.

Unless you're in a combat situation or roll around in the dirt a lot with your mags, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

I have a similar problem with my AR-15, and in this condition the bolt and carrier are too far to the rear for the forward assist to engage the grooves in the carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by 96cbr900rr View Post
    I have a similar problem with my AR-15, and in this condition the bolt and carrier are too far to the rear for the forward assist to engage the grooves in the carrier.
    If the BCG is dirty or improperly lubed it can cause this problem. It slows down the velocity of the BCG so that there is not enough energy to strip off a round. If everything is clean and you are still having that problem, try a new buffer spring.

B

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast