Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast

Default Gun Room, Shrewsbury, MA

I had a bizzare experience at this store in Shrewsbury today.

I walked in and there were two guys behind the counter, one who glared at me the whole time. I told them that I had submitted my Class A License application last week, and that I wanted to look at a few pistols because I plan to make some purchases when my license arrives in a few weeks. I was immediately told that I could not even touch a pistol because it's against store policy for anyone without a license to handle firearms. I said, "You've got to be kidding me."

"Nope, it's against state law." was their response.

Dumbfounded, I said "Well, I've reviewed the Mass regulations and I haven't seen anything like that. It looks like I just wasted a bunch of time coming here."

As I turned to leave the other guy told me I could view the guns through the glass case. I told him "No thanks. I can do that with a magazine or on the web."

I'm 44, clean cut, drive a nice car, etc., so I don't think I looked like I was going to go cyborg on them or anything. There was only one other customer in the store so it's not like they were busy.

Are these guys just dicks or am I out of line for being pissed off?

Mark,

Stay clear of that place. I went in there to ask about using them as an FFL for my Service rifle lower. They went on and on about the Assault Weapons Ban, even though my lower was legal, and told me they wouldn't bother attempting it. They are over priced, everybody I've dealt with in there is rude, and their in stock inventory is horrid. Probably the worst gun shop I've ever been to.

BTW welcome to the board. :D

Derek
    “Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms (of government) those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”

“The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government”

If you live in Massachusetts protect your 2nd Amendment rights and donate... Comm2a.org

They have quite a reputation for spinning yarns, pontificating on imaginary laws, etc.

Best advice is to stay far, far away from the place.

Most gun shops won't let you handle guns without seeing your LTC first. It's so pervasive that I actually thought it was the law until I did a little research. It's probably good policy, given our political climate in MA, and I'll bet that most dealers actually believe that it is the law.

Welcome to the forums.

I never had a problem with any of the stores I went to before I got my LTC. I told them that I hadn't gotten my license as yet, but I was shopping around. They all let me look at everything I asked to see. It's not state law - they were being dickheads. I've heard some nasty stories about them too, and I'm in Haverhill!

BTW - have you found anything that you've decided will be your first one?
    "They say gun owners are compensating for something. They're right. I'm compensating because I'm smaller and weaker than violent criminals."

Don't make me release the flying monkeys!!

I hate that place.I thought I did a mini write up on it a while ago.Morons behind the counter was the main reason.

I seriously have no idea how shops like this stay in business.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg
    I hate that place.I thought I did a mini write up on it a while ago.Morons behind the counter was the main reason.

I seriously have no idea how shops like this stay in business.
    That's exaclty what I was wondering. That building there on Route 9 has to be a good sized lease, I don't see how he can move enough inventory. Maybe he uses it to launder money? [twisted]
    “Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms (of government) those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”

“The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government”

If you live in Massachusetts protect your 2nd Amendment rights and donate... Comm2a.org

Quote Originally Posted by derek

That's exaclty what I was wondering. That building there on Route 9 has to be a good sized lease, I don't see how he can move enough inventory. Maybe he uses it to launder money? [twisted]
    My memory isn't all that great, so I may be off on this, but... I remember hearing about a gun shop out in that direction that got stung pretty good by the state for....something...I can't remember what. It *might* be that shop, and it *might* be that they only cater to the folks they know. I'm not defending them in any way, shape or form, however, if it was them, it might have made them leary in dealing with new faces or folks who don't have a license as yet. I don't know...either way, they won't increase sales. [roll]
    "They say gun owners are compensating for something. They're right. I'm compensating because I'm smaller and weaker than violent criminals."

Don't make me release the flying monkeys!!

IIRC, Lynne is right about this shop.

No, they have always been anal jerks there! THe owner has a handlebar mustache that almost touches his ears.

This was originally Peter Dowd's shop before he sold out back in the 1980s (IIRC). He had a non-compete agreement so he waited until it expired and then opened up where Wal-Mart is on Rte. 9 in Northboro (?).

Thanks for the replies. I posted this story on Sigforum also and the concensus amongst New Englanders seems to be that a lot of places won't let you handle firearms without a license. Two other places local to me (I'm in Southborough) are out of business...Bay State Arms in Southborough = gone; Village Gun Shop in Northborough = sign on window that said closed - semi-retired.

I think I'll do my shopping at Collector's Gallery Firearms in Stoneham. It's a bit of a haul, but that's OK I guess. The owner, Jack Gallagher, is a friend of mine (he married one of my wife's best friends) and he invited me over last Saturday. Very cool store, and a geat bunch of guys hanging around. He let me check out the wares and they didn't treat me like the noob I am. Jack is going to keep an eye out for a Sig P226ST for me, which will probably be my first purchase. He also has some very nice 4-1/4" S&W 1911SC pistols in the scandium frame. I also want to pick up something I can shoot .22LR with so I can develop some proficiency without spending too much on ammo. Probably a Ruger MKII. I really like the looks of the Sig Mosquito but I think it'll be next year before we can buy those here in Mass. I also want to get a S&W .357 magnum 5" barrel. That's all I want...I promise. For now. :)

Nice board you guys have here. I look forward to reading and posting here and getting to know you guys.

Collectors is a decent place and the new shop is really a neat place. How is Jack's Wife doing? Last I was in there (late Fall/early Winter) she had been in an auto accident and was badly banged up and awaiting some test results regarding her injuries.

Another place to go to (nearby Collector's) is Four Seasons Firearms, 76R (Rear) Winn St., Woburn. Explain your situation and what you are looking for and they will most likely try to help you out.

There is a very short way to get between the two shops. My GPS gets me between them via some side roads into Woburn Square.

Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast