Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Smith Wesson M&P Striker Block Potential Issue with Apex kits.

Disclaimer I am not a gunsmith, make no claim of any specific issue or statement that any part is problematic. Just passing on an observation of a possible safety issue that seemed to surprise many people with much more knowledge than me. Being a safety question thought sharing the observation was responsible and if you feel your firearm may have this issue or you have questions, please contact a gunsmith.

My SW M&P was safety checked recently. My firearm has an Apex kit installed had issues with the striker block safety not engaging.

The striker block was working after I installed the Apex kits, so the consensus seemed to indicate that one or more components of the M&P or Apex kit seemed to wear out.

The test in the manual for this is simple. With the firearm unloaded, magazine removed, muzzle in a safe direction, move the slide into slide lock. Then remove the slide or turn the firearm over and press against the exposed tab behind the striker. There should be no forward movement. If it moves forward freely the striker block is not working and the striker may need to be replaced. (paraphrased)

With a new striker installed the firearm was rechecked and all was fine.

So again no specific claims being made here. Just passing this on as there may be a potential that with the striker block not working the gun may discharge if dropped.

I searched this topic and didn't find it so I figured I would pass on my experience. YMMV IANAGS

Safe shooting,
    Scott
    Last edited by SSW1911; 11-02-2013 at 02:56 PM.
    Safe shooting,
    Scott

GOAL - Member
    NRA - Member
    Comm. 2A - Member
    HSC - Member

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who would prevert the Constitution." ~ Abraham Lincoln

I've noticed that after putting the kit in a new gun. I'm not a gun smith either, but from what I've observed the way they were testing is not entirely accurate. If you pull the tab on the striker back the SB should engage. The "slack" gets taken up by the movement of the slide going into battery thereby engaging the striker block that way.

Quote Originally Posted by SSW1911 View Post
    The test for this is simple. With the firearm unloaded, magazine removed, muzzle in a safe direction, move the slide into slide lock. Then turn the firearm over and press against the exposed tab behind the striker. There should be no forward movement. If it moves forward freely the striker block is not working and the striker may need to be replaced.
    How much movement was there on your firearm?
    Did it wiggle a bit fore and aft, or move fully forward until the striker was protruding from the breech face?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by taz-2005 View Post
    I've noticed that after putting the kit in a new gun. I'm not a gun smith either, but from what I've observed the way they were testing is not entirely accurate. If you pull the tab on the striker back the SB should engage. The "slack" gets taken up by the movement of the slide going into battery thereby engaging the striker block that way.
    That is true, the striker on the M&P is not cocked until the slide is fully forward.
    TY73127

"Beneath the rule of men entirely great, The pen is mightier than the sword." -Edward Bulwer Lytton.

Where is the test procedure documented? I'm not familiar with the official safety test procedures on striker fired guns.

It sounds like they don't start the test with the stiker reset. If they racked the slide and then locked it back the striker would be stop by the striker block. How filthy was the striker and the striker channel?
    Westford Pro 2A

Member:Comm2A (Platinum), SAF (Life), GOAL (Life), NRA (Life), WSC, HSC, IDPA, ICORE, USPSA

All legit questions. In my case the movement was fully forward, with the "old" striker, once replaced there was very little movement. The SB was reset before attempting to move it forward. The gun was racked as part of the safety check process.

I am far from an expert, but at least one gunsmith had the same type of issue and showed me how to fix mine. So while my description may be lacking technical detail, it really did seem to be a legit concern.

My description is probably not the best. That's my bad.
    Last edited by SSW1911; 11-02-2013 at 02:14 AM.
    Safe shooting,
    Scott

GOAL - Member
    NRA - Member
    Comm. 2A - Member
    HSC - Member

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who would prevert the Constitution." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Did you replace the striker block or the striker w/firing pin to resolve it?

Quote Originally Posted by noxin View Post
    Did you replace the striker block or the striker w/firing pin to resolve it?
    The striker with the firing pin.
    Last edited by SSW1911; 11-02-2013 at 02:15 AM.
    Safe shooting,
    Scott

GOAL - Member
    NRA - Member
    Comm. 2A - Member
    HSC - Member

okay, thanks for the info!

Have you emailed Apex about it?

Which APEX kit was it: Duty/Carry AEK, competition AEK, or FSS?

If the USB was binding or the USB spring was took weak (competition?) it could cause this test to fail. However, based on your description of the fix (replace the striker) I can only assume it was a competition AEK and a weak striker spring.
    Westford Pro 2A

Member:Comm2A (Platinum), SAF (Life), GOAL (Life), NRA (Life), WSC, HSC, IDPA, ICORE, USPSA

I haven't emailed Apex, I am not sure it is an issue with their parts or not, but that may be a good idea.

In my gun the Apex kits installed were the DCAEK and RAM. I didn't install the competition kit.
    Safe shooting,
    Scott

GOAL - Member
    NRA - Member
    Comm. 2A - Member
    HSC - Member

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast