Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Cruiser video shows 2003 confrontation between Kenney and McKay

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO55528/

Cruiser video shows 2003 confrontation between Kenney and McKay
    CONCORD, N.H. -- Video obtained by a newspaper shows a 2003 confrontation between Liko Kenney and Franconia Police Cpl. Bruce McKay four years before the two died in an explosion of violence that grew out of a traffic stop.

Kenney's relatives and friends have said the incident was the catalyst for bad blood between the men, who died moments apart on May 11 when Kenney shot McKay four times and drove over him before being shot dead by a passer-by.

The killings split the small community of Franconia, where the Kenney family has deep roots.

The video, taken by a camera in McKay's cruiser, was obtained by the New Hampshire Union Leader, which posted it on its Web site, unionleader.com, and on YouTube early Thursday. A request by The Associated Press for the video was referred to Police Chief Mark Montminy, who was off Thursday.

The January 2003 encounter in a secluded parking area began when McKay approached Kenney's parked car and asked for his license and registration.

In roughly 25 minutes of tape, Kenney, then 19, is heard questioning McKay in an increasingly frantic and hostile tone, sometimes nonstop for long periods.

Kenney at first refuses to give his name or show his driver's license. When he finally does, McKay says knowingly, "Oh, I was wondering why you had such an attitude."

As the confrontation escalates, Kenney accuses McKay of harassment, torture and even attempted sexual assault. He repeatedly demands the return of his driver's license and calls for other police help. In a high-pitched voice, Kenney rambles, screams profanities and insults at McKay and complains of being illegally detained.

"How long do I have to sit in my car? How long until I get my license back?" Kenney asks.

"I'm going to take you to court for harassment charges. ... You can't order people around. You're not (expletive) God."

He threatens to sue McKay.

"I'm going to take you to court, and be, like, this jerk pulled me out my car, took my license wouldn't tell me what he was doing with my license, wouldn't tell me how long I wouldn't have my license. You can go and steal stuff from people, put your hands on people, give people orders? Who gives you the right to do this? This is a free country. You don't have the right to harass me."

The video shows that Kenney got out of his car and disobeyed McKay's requests and orders to return to it. Kenney at one point tries to drive away; McKay follows slowly and blocks his way with the cruiser.

McKay keeps an even tone during most of the initial conversation, sometimes staying silent as Kenney rants. He swears once near the beginning, while ordering Kenney to return to his white sedan.

McKay calls for backup, saying he needs help with a "suspect who has elected to turn hostile."

"You escalated this," he tells Kenney.

Kenney's relatives have said McKay beat Kenney severely during incident, breaking his jaw and putting him into a coma, claims Grafton County attorney Rick St. Hilaire has denied. The tape appears to support St. Hilaire.

In roughly 25 minutes of video, the scuffle with Kenney, McKay and two other officers lasts about four minutes. Most of it is blocked from the cruiser camera by Kenney's car. But conversation caught on tape supports court documents reporting that Kenney grabbed McKay's groin during the struggle and McKay reacted by punching Kenney in the face.

"You bastard," McKay says after shouting in pain.

As the struggle continues, Kenney shouts complaints of being unable to breathe, being molested and having his neck broken.

"Let go of me. My neck, I have a broken neck," he screams.

He screams for help and that he is being assaulted by police in the woods.

"I have to go home. ... What are you doing with me? Taking me to (expletive) kill me somewhere? If it's up to him he'll (expletive) rape me and kill me," Kenney shouts.

"You're not a (expletive) human. You're a demon," Kenney shouts at McKay.

Court documents indicate Kenney tried to escape from officers three times that night, once forcing his way out of the cruiser's back seat and trying to hop away while his legs were bound.

Kenney later pleaded guilty to assaulting McKay and resisting arrest. He could have been sentenced to prison, but got 15 days in jail, time served, when McKay asked for leniency, according to St. Hilaire.

Kenney's mother, Michele Kenney, said she had heard about the video's release but referred questions to a lawyer, who did not immediately return a phone call.

Kenney supporters have said the 24-year-old man feared McKay, whom they described as a bully cop who came down heavy on young people in town. On the other side, friends of McKay, law enforcement, Gov. John Lynch and Attorney General Kelly Ayotte have hailed McKay, 48, as a dedicated officer and fallen hero.

Kenney was a cousin of Olympic skier Bode Miller, and they grew up together at the tennis camp run by their families in neighboring Easton.

The Youtube video for anyone thats interested...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDiw_i9LxfI

Title is misleading, but camera date shows 2003.

Liko sounds like a punk that had a problem with authority.

So why did the cop detain him in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by drgrant View Post
    The Youtube video for anyone thats interested...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDiw_i9LxfI

Title is misleading, but camera date shows 2003.
    How so?

Quote Originally Posted by FunYun View Post
    So why did the cop detain him in the first place?
    He saw him in a secluded parking area and just asked for his license. Give him your license let him check you out and be on his way.......

That's happened to me several or so times when I was younger....the look, maybe tell you to leave or they leave.

No need to give the cop lip. The kid didn't get detained until he started ingnoring Mckay's requests/commands.

Quote Originally Posted by sksguns View Post
    He saw him in a secluded parking area and just asked for his license. Give him your license let him check you out and be on his way.......

That's happened to me several or so times when I was younger....the look, maybe tell you to leave or they leave.

No need to give the cop lip. The kid didn't get detained until he started ingnoring Mckay's requests/commands.

Basicly, I'm just wondering how long the cop had detained him for a simple check based on nothing other than being parked in a parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by FunYun View Post
    Basicly, I'm just wondering how long the cop had detained him for a simple check based on nothing other than being parked in a parking lot.
    I don't know but I would guess it might have gone much more quickly and been uneventful if Kenney intially cooperated.

The cops had probably run into people using drugs or whatever up there. And the amount of time Kenney was detained was increased because he just wouldn't keep his mouth shut. Didn't he listen to Chris Rock?

This may clear up what happened in the video:
    http://www.policeone.com/news/1245300/
    Details of N.H. cop killer's prior confrontations with police released
    Union Leader
    HAVERHILL, N.H. — Three days after the death of Franconia police Cpl. Bruce McKay, Grafton County Attorney Rick St. Hilare has released a statement on his murder and on several past incidents in which his shooter, Liko Kenney of Easton, had confrontations with police or the judicial system.

The Grafton County Attorney's statement:

The prosecution community mourns the loss of Corporal Bruce McKay who was murdered on May 11, 2007, and we appreciate the expression of public support for this law enforcement officer who gave his life in the line of duty and in service to his community of Franconia, NH. We remember Bruce as a man of courage, compassion, and good humor.

Attorney General Kelly Ayotte has reported that Liko Kenney was convicted in 2003 of assaulting Franconia Police Corporal Bruce McKay when he served in the rank of Officer. That case was prosecuted in the Grafton County Superior Court, and therefore details are known to this office and follow below. News sources have also reported that Liko Kenney was convicted of assaulting a 15 year old child on April 24, 2007. That case was prosecuted by NH State Police in the Littleton District Court, so questions concerning that matter should be directed to State Police Troop F.

On March 21, 2003 a grand jury indicted Liko Kenney on charges of assault against a police officer, resisting arrest, and escape. The defendant physically resisted four police officers, assaulted Officer Bruce McKay, and fled custody from a police cruiser. The defendant pled guilty to the charge of assaulting a police officer and a charge of resisting arrest on December 22, 2003.

The offenses could have resulted in a sentence of prison time. However, Officer Bruce McKay expressed his desire that compassion be shown to the defendant. He supported a short 15 day term of incarceration in the county jail, which was accepted by the court. The Grafton County Superior Court sentenced Kenney on the charge of assaulting a police officer to 12 months incarceration with all but 15 days suspended for 2 years on conditions of good behavior. The court also ordered a sentence of 12 months suspended for 2 years on a count of resisting arrest.

Police reports yielded the following information, which is summarized below:

On January 26, 2003 Officer Bruce McKay came upon a car located in a secluded, snowed-in parking area known as Fox Hill Park in Franconia. The officer was aware of recent illegal drug and alcohol activity at this location. Officer McKay investigated what appeared to be a lone automobile with no occupant, but then discovered a young man reclined in the front seat of the car who was later identified as Liko Kenney. Kenney was unknown to Officer McKay at the time except by reputation, according to McKay. Kenney explained that he was relaxing, waiting for friends to join him from a Super Bowl party. Because it was very cold out, Officer McKay returned to his police cruiser to get his coat. Kenney then exited the car and asked the officer his name. Officer McKay gave Kenney his name, but Kenney was silent about his identity when asked. Kenney returned to the car and started the engine.

Officer McKay requested Kenney’s driver’s license. Kenney refused to produce it. Officer McKay’s suspicions were then raised as he wondered why the subject wished to conceal his identity. After a time, the driver produced a license that identified him as Liko Kenney.

Officer McKay directed Kenney to remain in his car while the officer proceeded to return to his cruiser to conduct a license check. But Liko Kenney exited his car, making demands of Officer McKay that McKay did not have the right to have his license and falsely accusing the officer of stealing his property. Officer McKay’s concerns for his personal safety heightened when Kenney continued to approach the officer while Kenney was yelling, waving his hands, and placing his hands in and out of his pockets. Unknown to the officer at the time was the fact that Kenney had knives in his pockets.

Officer McKay directed Liko Kenney to return to his car. Liko Kenney refused and Officer McKay attempted to arrest Kenney, but McKay then attempted to calm the situation by verbally engaging Kenney. McKay told Kenney to return to the car and wait, and that he was not free to leave. Kenney entered the car, but did not wait; he tried to escape by attempting to drive around the Franconia Police cruiser. Officer McKay repositioned the police cruiser to block Kenney’s exit. Kenney continued to drive about the parking area in search of another exit without success.

Eventually Liko Kenney stopped the car and exited. Officer McKay had pepper spray in hand just in case. Kenney was insisting that other police be called. Officer McKay replied that he had already called for the assistance of other officers.

Police from Bethlehem and Littleton soon arrived. Kenney was asked to stop yelling. The Littleton officer tried to speak to Kenny, but Kenney continued yelling. Kenney was instructed to place his hands on the police cruiser. Kenney was defiant. Kenney was taken hold of, but Kenney retreated across the parking lot. The three officers went to take hold of Kenney again. He forcefully resisted the officers. Kenney yelled such things as “These officers are trying to molest me!” and “These officers are torturing me!” While struggling, Kenney reached out to the groin area of Officer McKay and gripped. Another officer witnessed McKay yell in pain and jump as a result. McKay applied lawful defensive force by engaging in a protective maneuver to successfully release Kenney’s grip by striking the left side of Kenney’s face. Kenney later denied that he assaulted the officer in the fashion described, but claimed that he could have applied a bite to the officer if he wanted.

The Littleton officer was able to get Kenney into handcuffs, but Kenney continued to resist by trying to get underneath the car. Officers had to pull Kenney out from under the car. He was then placed in leg restraints. Several efforts were made to get Kenney into the police cruiser. When this finally was accomplished, Kenney screamed and yelled. At one point, Kenney freed himself from the police car and hopped away. Officer McKay restrained Kenney until state police and EMTs arrived. Kenney continued to resist.

The EMTs arrived and examined Kenney; the state trooper informed the EMTs that Kenney had not been searched yet. While Kenney was lying on his back receiving medical attention, Kenney looked directly at the trooper and tried to kick the trooper three times. Kenney continued yelling and making accusations that he was being molested while receiving attention from the EMTs The EMTs eventually confiscated two knives and four discharged .22 caliber casings from Kenney’s pockets, and the trooper searched the car Kenney was driving and found a pipe with marijuana residue and an empty plastic holder for .22 ammunition.

Kenney was transported to the hospital to be evaluated for any injuries that Kenney claimed to have suffer. Kenney complained of neck and face pain. Medical personnel concluded that Kenney suffered no noteworthy injury. Officer McKay asked the doctor about Kenney’s mental health given the circumstances. Medical personnel concluded that Kenney was not a danger to himself or anyone else.

State police reported that Kenney was uncooperative with medical staff at the hospital, screaming that the medical staff was torturing him. After 15 minutes, Kenney calmed down enough to have handcuffs removed so that he could be examined by the physician on duty. Kenney complained that his jaw was swollen and painful from a punch. There was no evidence of a fractured jaw. Moderate tenderness and slight swelling was observed. Wrists were swollen and red from the handcuffs.
    Continued on next page.
    'PUGNA PRO PATRIA'

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast