Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Al's Gun and Reel in Derry NH?

Anyone been to Al's Gun and Reel Shop in Derry NH? As a newbe on the shooting scene I would like a store local to me (Nashua) and with friendly, patient manager and staff. I've heard great things about Riley's guns also...so I have no problem going there too.

Riley's has a good selection and sometimes has good deals on ammo. I most recently picked up a 50 round box of Speer Gold Dot .40 S&W 180 grain (marked "Law Enforcement") for $5 more than they were selling the 20 round boxes for.

As for Riley's gun pricing, to give a specific example, when I bought my Sig P229R, Riley's had one marked as $800 for a NIB. I ended up getting the same sig at Sportsman's Trading Co in Amherst NH for $100 less.

Sportsman's doesn't have a huge selection, but he has some pretty good deals.

I've never been to Al's Gun & Reel, so I have no experience with them

I bought my Sig P239 SAS at Stateline Gun Shop on Rte 123 in Mason. They have a great selection, they're cool to deal with, and they have some decent prices. Its a bit of a trip from Nashua, but its well worth it in my opinion.

Al was always nice to me when I stopped by when I lived in Londonderry. Only bought ammo from him, though. Prices were OK.

A decent stop is to come to Rt 125 in Plaistow right over the MA border. Theres two gun shops within a mile, and a wally world for ammo as well. Theyre all less than 2 miles from my house. Dave's sporting goods in plaistow is a nice little shop and theres a second one a little further up that isnt too shabby, either!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiktock View Post
    A decent stop is to come to Rt 125 in Plaistow right over the MA border. Theres two gun shops within a mile, and a wally world for ammo as well. Theyre all less than 2 miles from my house. Dave's sporting goods in plaistow is a nice little shop and theres a second one a little further up that isnt too shabby, either!
    are they still there? if so what are the hours? thanks alot

I've always had good luck at Al's. I bought my last Kimber there. The price was good.

I was just in there yesterday and this guy's a wacko! Don't take up too much of Al's time deciding on what you want to buy or else he goes nuts. He pressured me into a Spriingfield XDm .40 for $699. I didn't want to spend that much so I told him I would sleep on it and get back to him. He didn't take too well to that answer and went on a rant!.... I ended up going to Manchester Firing Line and found the same piece (with 3 mag's) for $599. Still more than I wanted to spend but boy, she's worth it. nice pistol.

>>I ended up getting the same sig at Sportsman's Trading Co in Amherst NH for $100 less.<<

I'd gladly pay the extra $100 to Riley's rather than deal with that turkey!

Quote Originally Posted by tw2979 View Post
    I ended up getting the same sig at Sportsman's Trading Co in Amherst NH for $100 less.

Sportsman's doesn't have a huge selection, but he has some pretty good deals.
    Then I congratulate you, as you're the only person to ever get something for "less" at Sportsman's. Ever.

NES Member

Default Derry / Manchester area

TimJ and SLYGUY are actually both 100&#37; on the mark even though their experiences were opposite. The owner at Al's in Derry can be nice and accomodating at times and then he also can be somewhat rude, pushy and a little nutty acting. I have gone in and turned right around and walked out when he was in one of his ranting and raving moods and then another time he was nice and I looked at several items and purchased a firearm. Not sure why he is like that, maybe he just does not have any patience. He does get some nice items in stock, but his shop is tiny, made in sort of a crawl space over a garage, if there are more than two people in there it is difficult to move around and look in the display cases, the lighting also is poor so very difficult to inspect merchandise. I think a much better place in this general area is Manchester Firing Line in Manchester. they just re-did their retail area and have a nice slection. The owner there, Jim, and his staff, are way more knowledgeable and accomodating than Al's and it has been my experience that they provide good advice based upon your needs not just try to get your wallet out which appears to me is obviously Al's only focus. The range at Manchester Firing Line is also the cleanest and best maintained I have shot at in 45 years of shooting, highly recommend the place for both shopping and shooting. All of the staff at Manchester Firing Line seem to know ammo very well in addition to being knoweldgeable about firearms. Everytime I asked about a certain type of ammo, the advice they gave was 100% correct on how it shot for me in my firearm. Their prices seem very good also. I tend to use quite a bit of Corbon and Speer (dept issue so I like to practice with it) and they are always the best price I have seen on the particular type I buy.
    Last edited by stosh; 03-13-2009 at 07:24 PM.
    USMC 1968 to 1974
    RVN 1969 to 1970

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast