Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1911 45acp to 9mm Conversion kits

Hey All,

Are there any good conversion kits to a 9mm for 1911's? I'm guessing the entire slide assembly will be replaced (and magazine). Where's the best source for this purchase? Is it even worth it?

My main reason is because I don't have $1200 to spend on a new 1911 9mm chamber.

-BW

just convert to 22 ... no, go all the way to airsoft gun.

I'm sorry for being a dick, but this is akin to asking advice on swedish penis reduction devices.

My advice, start reloading 45s, it's pretty painless. There is a reason people buy glorious 1911, is that they rock! Reducing this old soldier to some inferior caliber is a ****ing travesty. It's not worth it. If you want cheaper range time, point your finger into the mirror and go "pow pow". A 45 is a 45, there is no substitute.

You'll spend more time and money dicking around the conversion and making it work right. Just buy another 9mm gun.
    Last edited by Boris; 01-10-2013 at 12:43 PM.
    RIP Михаил Тимофеевич. Никто не забыт и ни что не забыто.

Are there any good conversion kits to a 9mm for 1911's?
    No.

I'm guessing the entire slide assembly will be replaced (and magazine).
    Correct.

Where's the best source for this purchase?
    Brownells, 1911store.com.

Is it even worth it?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by BW23 View Post
    Hey All,

Are there any good conversion kits to a 9mm for 1911's? I'm guessing the entire slide assembly will be replaced (and magazine). Where's the best source for this purchase? Is it even worth it?

My main reason is because I don't have $1200 to spend on a new 1911 9mm chamber.

-BW
    You are screwed! Come see me and let's chat
    You can call me Al

All the correct answers have been given. Nothing to see here move along now please.

1911 45s and 9mms use different feed ramps, this means different frames. To convert a 1911 45 frame to 9mm, I had to resort to a ramped barrel.

- - - Updated - - -

1911 45s and 9mms use different feed ramps, this means different frames. To convert a 1911 45 frame to 9mm, I had to resort to a ramped barrel.

why ???

I get this question a lot. There a good answers in this thread already. If it's economy, sell the .45 and a SW 9mm. If it's ease of training get a Marvel conversion. The Marvel is simple to change out in a 1911 and they are very accurate. You will also be using the same trigger group as your .45 1911 which is a plus. Many bullseye shooters use the is system and have had great results. There are other .22 conversions on the market, but the Marvel is the best made IMHO.

dah, i was afraid there was no good option. Ah well, now got to save up some serious cash for a Smith.

If you are looking for something in the form of a 1911 in 9mm, look at Star Model B, BM and others in 9mm. Some can be had via C&R. I own a few variants - they feel and operate like 1911 - the trigger group is different, on Star pistols the trigger pivots on a pin, so the pull is not as good as a true 1911. But it will fit the rest of what you are looking for. Star pistols run 3-600 bucks, some of the nazi contract ones are a fair bit more obviously.

Converting a 1911 in 45 to 9 is a loosing endevour. Having a 1911 built up in 9mm is more doable, but is still frought with problems and expensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast