Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Providence pass resolution to ban all semiautomatic guns!

http://www.foxprovidence.com/dpps/ne...n-guns_5269561
    Prov. City Council wants action on guns
    Proposal calls on lawmakers to pass gun control

Updated: Thursday, 03 Jan 2013, 1:58 PM EST
    Published : Thursday, 03 Jan 2013, 12:51 PM EST
    By James O'Leary

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) -- Providence City Councilors are calling for a city-wide ban on semi-automatic weapons.

The resolution expresses the council's support for a ban on the sale, use, and possession of semi-automatic firearms in Providence. It also calls on the General Assembly to introduce legislation that would give cities and towns the power to regulate firearms.

“Banning semi-automatic firearms is a public safety imperative,” Council Majority Leader Seth Yurdin said in a news release. "We cannot wait for another tragedy, another senseless loss of life, before we act.”

Council members Carmen Castillo, Wilbur Jennings, Sabina Matos, David Salvatore, and Samuel Zurier are co-sponsors of the measure.

The Council's resolution cites several gun statistics to justify its action -- including the fact 14 of the city's 17 homicides in 2012 involved a firearm.

The Council will debate the proposal at its meeting on January 3, at 7:00 p.m.
    This resolution just passed this evening.

This is from Providence's website:
    http://council.providenceri.com/node/703
    Thursday, January 3, 2013
    Council
    to
    Consider
    Resolution
    Calling
    for
    Citywide
    Ban
    on
    Semi-Automatic
    Firearms
    Tonight

A citywide ban on all types of semi-automatic firearms, and state enabling legislation to give Providence the legislative ability to prohibit such firearms, are recommendations included in a resolution that will be introduced at the City Council’s first meeting of 2013 on Thursday, January 3rd.

Council Majority Leader Seth Yurdin (Ward 1) is the lead sponsor of the proposal, which is co-sponsored by Councilwoman Carmen Castillo (Ward 9), Councilman Wilbur Jennings (Ward 8), Councilwoman Sabina Matos (Ward 15), Councilman David Salvatore (Ward 14), and Councilman Samuel Zurier (Ward 2). The resolution expresses support for a ban on the sale, use, and possession of semi-automatic firearms in Providence, and urges the General Assembly to reintroduce legislation that would give cities and towns the authority to regulate firearms.

Yurdin said that changes in gun laws are overdue. “Banning semi-automatic firearms is a public safety imperative,” he said. “We cannot wait for another tragedy, another senseless loss of life, before we act.”

WHO: Providence City Council, Members of the Public

WHAT: Resolution in Support of a Ban on Semi-Automatic Weapons, City Council Meeting

WHEN: at 7 p.m.

WHERE: City Council Chambers, Third Floor, Providence City Hall, 25 Dorrance Street

Quote Originally Posted by newportri View Post
    http://www.foxprovidence.com/dpps/ne...n-guns_5269561

This resolution just passed this evening.
    I don't know why they didn't think of this sooner! This will fix the problem for sure. Just look how good it's been working in Chicago!
    It has long been my belief that the sight of a good-looking woman lowers a man’s IQ by at least 20 points. A man who doesn’t happen to have 20 points to spare can be in big trouble."
    ― Thomas Sowell

The Council's resolution cites several gun statistics to justify its action -- including the fact 14 of the city's 17 homicides in 2012 involved a firearm.
    So the council must think that they have solved a problem if/when murders are done with knives and not firearms
    Maybe they need to look at the criminals and not the law abiding citizens. They have gone full retard in Providence, and I will not spend another dollar in Providence or even set foot in that city unless I am testifying at the State House.
    The bill they refer to is a bill that was also introduced last year and that will take away state pre emption when it comes to firearms. That means that all gun owners can move to one town and elect their own council that will be PRO gun. Silencers, SBR/SBS, and machine guns will be legal and encouraged to own. Taxes will be low since we won't need a police force since the criminals don't dare come into town cause they know people are armed, but they will instead go to Providence where they know the average person is not able to defend themselves...

Quote Originally Posted by newportri View Post
    So the council must think that they have solved a problem if/when murders are done with knives and not firearms
    Maybe they need to look at the criminals and not the law abiding citizens. They have gone full retard in Providence, and I will not spend another dollar in Providence or even set foot in that city unless I am testifying at the State House.
    The bill they refer to is a bill that was also introduced last year and that will take away state pre emption when it comes to firearms. That means that all gun owners can move to one town and elect their own council that will be PRO gun. Silencers, SBR/SBS, and machine guns will be legal and encouraged to own. Taxes will be low since we won't need a police force since the criminals don't dare come into town cause they know people are armed, but they will instead go to Providence where they know the average person is not able to defend themselves...
    \\

I use to live in Newport and loved Rhode Island.. but over the years the anti gun attitude, the tax everything and the government trying to control everyones life made me chose to move to NH. Peoples gun rights have been taken away over the years by the RI state government and they will continue to taken away city by city. I feel sorry for those who have to live in RI and are gun owners.

Rover51, I hear what you are saying. It's too bad that the people in RI are not smarter than electing the people we have elected to govern our state, but I guess this is what we (not me, but those who vote the liberals into office that take our rights away) deserve for voting on them. It's a shame cause it is a beautiful State.

"Sledding" deaths yesterday have "lawmakers" trying to protect "kids". Seventeen isn't a kid in my mind. Maybe they will outlaw trees?

Providence trips will force me to wear my helmet with siren and flashing red light.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-
    Licensed Journeyman.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxah View Post
    Providence trips will force me to wear my helmet with siren and flashing red light.
    It has long been my belief that the sight of a good-looking woman lowers a man’s IQ by at least 20 points. A man who doesn’t happen to have 20 points to spare can be in big trouble."
    ― Thomas Sowell

Glad I left that moonbat-cave.
    And they'll try to turn me against you
    So divided,we'll turn to them
    Because anything strong cannot be conquered from without
    Before first being conquered from within.

-- Shooter Jennings, Wake Up!

Do you know if anyone is planning to sue the city over this?
    When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills! The people it kills get up and kill! - Dr. Foster, Dawn of the Dead

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It's difficult only for others. It's the same thing when you are stupid.

Member of GOAL
    Life Member of NRA
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor & Range Safety Officer

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast