Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Ensuring absolute concentricity of muzzle devices

will be installing a Smith Enterprises 'Good-Iron' Coast Guard style brake on a Bula XM21 barreled receiver at some point soon and i'm wondering how you guys ensure the proper alignment of muzzle devices. I realize that once threaded on, any device worth its salt should automatically align, but I'm thinking better safe than sorry in this case. I was thinking a piece of bar stock brass or another soft(ish) metal to go 6 or so inches into the barrel and then out the business end and check for clearance around the edges of the bar stock?
    ... "SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI" translated, " Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"...

IMG_0063.PNG Just hand load one of these for the first shot. Jk. Don't really.

What problem are you trying to solve? Do you think the bullet might hit the muzzle device?

Quote Originally Posted by W.E.C View Post
    IMG_0063.PNG Just hand load one of these for the first shot. Jk. Don't really.
    Hmmm...I can't seem to find any load data, so i think I'll just fill the case with the hottest pistol powder to the top and compress the load...I'll back it up with a magnum primer and lube my barrel with ghost pepper hot sauce...ought to do the trick.
    ... "SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI" translated, " Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"...

just open the chamber and look down the barrel.

the chamber end should be in the center of the muzzle opening.
    pew pew pew

Quote Originally Posted by milktree View Post
    What problem are you trying to solve? Do you think the bullet might hit the muzzle device?
    Also, from what I understand of physics (which is to say, not much) that achieving absolute concentricity will allow for gasses to surround the projectile and escape the ports evenly, so as to not effect the yaw as it leaves the barrel. Some might say 'so bring it to a gunsmith', but there's basically zero fun in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Another_David View Post
    just open the chamber and look down the barrel.

the chamber end should be in the center of the muzzle opening.
    That's where the purpose of my question comes in...an XM21 is an M14 Variant...no way for me to see line of sight down the barrel, as it's already installed on the receiver. It's not like an AR where I can just pop out the bolt and see straight down. I'm not even sure I'd get a good picture from a boroscope either (and I don't have a boroscope to begin with)...if any of you feel differently, please chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakar652 View Post
    Also, from what I understand of physics (which is to say, not much) that achieving absolute concentricity will allow for gasses to surround the projectile and escape the ports evenly, so as to not effect the yaw as it leaves the barrel. Some might say 'so bring it to a gunsmith', but there's basically zero fun in that.
    that's all fine and dandy but presumably the threads are already on the barrel and he's just going to screw it on then needs to check that it's not going to cause a major malfunction before letting his buddy make the first shot with it. then it is what it is.

if he was going to thread it himself (doubtful) then the real question would be how to align the threads and for that the answer is go to a smith
    pew pew pew

Quote Originally Posted by Dakar652 View Post
    That's where the purpose of my question comes in...an XM21 is an M14 Variant...no way for me to see line of sight down the barrel, as it's already installed on the receiver. It's not like an AR where I can just pop out the bolt and see straight down. I'm not even sure I'd get a good picture from a boroscope either (and I don't have a boroscope to begin with)...if any of you feel differently, please chime in.
    right but what I was saying is you (obviously unload first then) open the camber and lay the rifle flat on a table. then you do what you're never supposed to do and go stand in front of the muzzle (where the bullets come out real fast) and from just the right distance you should see the light in the chamber in the center of the end of the muzzle device. takes just the right lighting.

for extra credit do it at your gun range during a cease fire just to give everyone a good chuckle (okay maybe not)

am searching for a photo but can't find one.
    pew pew pew

Hmmm...interesting. I'll look more into this option. I thought you were saying to look from the chamber end. I have a super bright borelight I can try. If you find the picture, let me know please...so I can see basically what I'll be looking for.
    Last edited by Dakar652; 05-25-2017 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast