Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Swede Kit build....update 3/27/14

update 3/17 - added pics of a short carbine build
    update 3/27 - pics of ANOTHER short carbine build

So probably my favorite Mauser is the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, and I love the accuracy of the diopter rear sights and the hooded globe front sight....especially with my old eyes...

I've always wanted a CG63 or CG80, but never got the opportunity and cash syncing up to get one..

I had a pile of NOS New Old Stock parts I had accumulated over the years as in this picture :

So I drilled, and tapped the holes to mount the rear ELIT diopter sight on the NOS receiver , chose a bolt from several I had that resulted in acceptable headspace with the NOS barrel, and installed the still in the white brand new M38 length barrel...

Picked up a used CG63 stock on eBay , stripped it down and refinished it with some brazilian rosewood stain, and a final finish mix of linseed oil/turpentine/beeswax....still has a few deep dings and gouges I may try to steam out someday...

Had to use a cold bluing Oxphoblue to backen the barrel and receiver metal, several applications....

And all that is left now is to install the rear sling swivel once it arrives from Numrich....and then hopefully get it to the range before it shuts down when the berms freeze...I think I'm going to dedicate this one to shooting only lead cast bullets...another aspect of the hobby I'm enjoying learning about and doing..

Last edited by hikerlt; 03-27-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Nice work!
    Can you take pics explain the rear site?
    If I offended you , you didn't get the joke.
    i hate prexis....
    i need a ak47 bolt/carrier and front trunnion.

Beautiful

the rear sight is the typical Swedish ( or Swiss) ELIT diopter rear sight.
    It allows different size diameter apertures to be screwed in, and it has height ( top adjustment knob) and windage ( left adjustment knob) settings, easily and smoothly changed - much easier than a Garand for example.

What I like is for target shooting, I;ll have the rear peep sight circular view, then the front globe sight with slightly smaller circle insert, just sized enough to provide a thin ring between the rear and front, and then the target is a circle shoot-n-see, sized to fit inside the view thru the front globe sight, with a small ring of clearance...so it allows me to line up 3 concentric circles....

Very nice...I like that rear sight looks nice. The compact size suites the clean lines of the rifle. Some of the old peep target sights look so out of place on some of the rifles...

excellent work, OP.
    stout: these dark, rich beers are called such because after drinking a dozen of them you will feel stout enough to wrestle all four of the cops by yourself.

proud member: lady liberty eskimo brothers crew - mai tai and squid-vomiting champion, 2013 - immer rein und raus - team "protect the children" - team "CORNELL SUCKS". team damaging personal insults absorbed.

DJ "goathammer wubstep jam remixed by nero and skrillex (bassnectar mix)"

update with another build just completed ( the bottom rifle) ....from a rescued Swede receiver, NOS carbine barrel from Sarco, and other parts from eBay, gunbroker, Numrich, etc... The stock is from Boyds...

The top is the original one shown above with a CG63 extended forestock added that has a anschutz rail on the bottom.

The bottom rifle is the new one with the short carbine barrel. The rear diopter sight is a different one I had never seen before, but the receiver was already drilled for it, and I managed to find one - a Faldt sight. I kind of like this rifle - real short, should make a neat deer rifle. I'm curious to see how it shoots with the brand new barrel and diopter sights.

Where do you find these Mauser's? I'd love a Swedish one because, well, I am. :)

Great rifles!

these ones shown in the pictures I built from parts...the top one is a m38 length barrel, and the bottom one is the short m94 carbine barrel.

you can get some nice CG63's at Simpsons....

here is a little better view of the Faldt diopter sight....

Last edited by hikerlt; 03-17-2014 at 09:02 PM.

Last edited by hikerlt; 10-19-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast