Default Holiday Inn Express wifi issues

Off the wall question here..

I've been (and will be) spending some time in a Holiday Inn Express. The wifi is free, the connection is relatively strong, and I've been bringing my wife's laptop along for down time between shifts at this location (Plainfield, CT) my new job's got me training at.

Problem is that both Internet Explorer and Firefox crash constantly while on this connection. CONSTANTLY. Sometimes if I leave the tab open with the HIEX user agreement/home page on it I can get a few minutes of browsing in with another tab before the crash... But not often.

I'm going to try tech support when I get back to the hotel, but I thought in the meantime I'd ask the collective here on NES if they might have some advice. Hotels are boring as hell, and having NES to keep me company would sure make the stay go by faster.
    "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice."
    - Thomas Paine

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!

Stay a few nights....you'll be able to figure it out fro yourself!

If you pull a trigger, you have to pull together.
    -Me

Hancock Ale & Quail Society (Legacy Founding Member)
    NRA(Life); GOAL(Family); Southborough Rod & Gun Club
    Club Delegate - Worcester County League of Sportsmens' Clubs
    ATA; MATA
    NRA Certified Instructor (Shotgun, Pistol, Home Firearm Safety); MSP BFS
    Mass Hunter Ed Instructor
    Licensed Bartender

Sounds like their transparent proxy or something is killing the internet connection. Have you tried connecting, going to their AUP page, approving/accepting, close the browsers, then reopen? Maybe there is some turd nugget getting stuck in memory that is causing the browsers to crash.

Do you have any non browser things to run? I used to find at some hotels running an outbound VPN tunnel to somewhere would help keep the connection from timing out after a few hours.

-Mike

Hotel wifi always sucks. And Mike is right, they time out your authentication to force you to sign back in. Makes downloading torrents a pain in the ass

There's a program called KeepAlive that stops this from happening. If your connection goes cold your border proxies are kicking you in the nuts.
    Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ has made us free and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. - Galatians 5:1, King James Bible

Quote Originally Posted by drgrant View Post
    Sounds like their transparent proxy or something is killing the internet connection. Have you tried connecting, going to their AUP page, approving/accepting, close the browsers, then reopen? Maybe there is some turd nugget getting stuck in memory that is causing the browsers to crash.

Do you have any non browser things to run? I used to find at some hotels running an outbound VPN tunnel to somewhere would help keep the connection from timing out after a few hours.

-Mike
    Closing the browser and reopening actually seems to hasten the browser crashing.

The laptop has almost nothing on it - she just uses it for MyFaceTwitterBookSpace or whatever. Anything you'd recommend that might help to keep the connection up?

Quote Originally Posted by cyberlogicx View Post
    Hotel wifi always sucks. And Mike is right, they time out your authentication to force you to sign back in. Makes downloading torrents a pain in the ass
    This is like an immediate thing most of the time though.
    - Connect to WiFi network.
    - Open IE, authenticate with hotel provided login/pass
    - Open website (tried lots.. oddly, Google and Bing usually seem to NOT crash the browsers)
    - Browser dies

Quote Originally Posted by whatluck View Post
    There's a program called KeepAlive that stops this from happening. If your connection goes cold your border proxies are kicking you in the nuts.
    Thanks - I'll look into that for sure.

-edit- I should clarify. I don't think (could be wrong..) the connection is dropping, but rather the browser is crashing. Both Firefox and IE do this.
    Last edited by pernox; 08-13-2012 at 03:41 PM.
    "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice."
    - Thomas Paine

Have you turned it off then on again?

Quote Originally Posted by pernox View Post
    I'm going to try tech support when I get back to the hotel, but I thought in the meantime I'd ask the collective here on NES if they might have some advice.
    No advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Might be worth it for you to pick up a prepaid cellular wifi card.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." - Claire Wolfe

Flintoid be freed he must.