Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    NES Member pernox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Berkshire County, MA
    Posts
    2,596

    Default Holiday Inn Express wifi issues

    Off the wall question here..

    I've been (and will be) spending some time in a Holiday Inn Express. The wifi is free, the connection is relatively strong, and I've been bringing my wife's laptop along for down time between shifts at this location (Plainfield, CT) my new job's got me training at.

    Problem is that both Internet Explorer and Firefox crash constantly while on this connection. CONSTANTLY. Sometimes if I leave the tab open with the HIEX user agreement/home page on it I can get a few minutes of browsing in with another tab before the crash... But not often.

    I'm going to try tech support when I get back to the hotel, but I thought in the meantime I'd ask the collective here on NES if they might have some advice. Hotels are boring as hell, and having NES to keep me company would sure make the stay go by faster.
    "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice."
    - Thomas Paine

  2. #2
    NES Member MisterHappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    Posts
    12,212

    Default

    Stay a few nights....you'll be able to figure it out fro yourself!

    If you pull a trigger, you have to pull together.
    -Me

    Hancock Ale & Quail Society (Legacy Founding Member)
    NRA(Life); GOAL(Family); Southborough Rod & Gun Club
    Club Delegate - Worcester County League of Sportsmens' Clubs
    ATA; MATA
    NRA Certified Instructor (Shotgun, Pistol, Home Firearm Safety); MSP BFS
    Mass Hunter Ed Instructor
    Licensed Bartender

  3. #3

    Default

    Sounds like their transparent proxy or something is killing the internet connection. Have you tried connecting, going to their AUP page, approving/accepting, close the browsers, then reopen? Maybe there is some turd nugget getting stuck in memory that is causing the browsers to crash.

    Do you have any non browser things to run? I used to find at some hotels running an outbound VPN tunnel to somewhere would help keep the connection from timing out after a few hours.

    -Mike

  4. #4
    NES Member cyberlogicx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The beach, NH
    Posts
    3,601

    Default

    Hotel wifi always sucks. And Mike is right, they time out your authentication to force you to sign back in. Makes downloading torrents a pain in the ass

  5. #5
    NES Member whatluck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    5,569

    Default

    There's a program called KeepAlive that stops this from happening. If your connection goes cold your border proxies are kicking you in the nuts.
    Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ has made us free and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. - Galatians 5:1, King James Bible

  6. #6
    NES Member pernox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Berkshire County, MA
    Posts
    2,596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drgrant View Post
    Sounds like their transparent proxy or something is killing the internet connection. Have you tried connecting, going to their AUP page, approving/accepting, close the browsers, then reopen? Maybe there is some turd nugget getting stuck in memory that is causing the browsers to crash.

    Do you have any non browser things to run? I used to find at some hotels running an outbound VPN tunnel to somewhere would help keep the connection from timing out after a few hours.

    -Mike
    Closing the browser and reopening actually seems to hasten the browser crashing.

    The laptop has almost nothing on it - she just uses it for MyFaceTwitterBookSpace or whatever. Anything you'd recommend that might help to keep the connection up?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyberlogicx View Post
    Hotel wifi always sucks. And Mike is right, they time out your authentication to force you to sign back in. Makes downloading torrents a pain in the ass
    This is like an immediate thing most of the time though.
    - Connect to WiFi network.
    - Open IE, authenticate with hotel provided login/pass
    - Open website (tried lots.. oddly, Google and Bing usually seem to NOT crash the browsers)
    - Browser dies

    Quote Originally Posted by whatluck View Post
    There's a program called KeepAlive that stops this from happening. If your connection goes cold your border proxies are kicking you in the nuts.
    Thanks - I'll look into that for sure.

    -edit- I should clarify. I don't think (could be wrong..) the connection is dropping, but rather the browser is crashing. Both Firefox and IE do this.
    Last edited by pernox; 08-13-2012 at 03:41 PM.
    "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice."
    - Thomas Paine

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    719

    Default

    Have you turned it off then on again?


  8. #8
    NES Member el duderino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Haverhill, MA
    Posts
    8,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pernox View Post
    I'm going to try tech support when I get back to the hotel, but I thought in the meantime I'd ask the collective here on NES if they might have some advice.
    No advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

    Might be worth it for you to pick up a prepaid cellular wifi card.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacesset



    "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." - Claire Wolfe

    Flintoid be freed he must.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •