Default Best 9 mm ammo for ipda

I am buying a new m&p 9 for ipda use? What is the best ammo to shoot. Thanks

Depends on what you are looking to do.
    Train for actual defense: shoot what you carry
    Be competitive: load your own

If you really want to be competitive it is practice more than ammo that will make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by herman View Post
    I am buying a new m&p 9 for ipda use? What is the best ammo to shoot. Thanks
    I would go with 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by jasons View Post
    I would go with 9mm.

As long as it is brass case, boxer primed. I hate it when half the pile after practice is the non-reloadable stuff.
    This guy Narl seemed to know what he was doing. And for a gorilla, his English wasn't half bad. -- Den
    Of course you'll have a bad impression of New York if you only focus on the pimps and the chuds - Marge Simpson
    I don't know why they're called carpenter ants. They should be called destroyer ants! - Mark Adams

If you're just there to play the compeition game, you'll handload the most annemic 9mm rounds that still meet the competition standards firing the lightest weight full metal jacket target bullets possible.

If you're doing it to actually train for practical shooting, you'll have heavy, +P or +P+ factory loaded jacketed hollow point self-defense rounds that you intend to carry.

Accuracy and score with the later will suffer, but there will be some value to the practice outside the game.

Thanks
    use a 9 mm?, should it be pointy? Thanks
    new to this so I was wondering if there were any cheap rounds that you reccomend for the mp that will work well
    i understand some guns work better with different ammo

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeWPI View Post
    If you're just there to play the compeition game, you'll handload the most annemic 9mm rounds that still meet the competition standards firing the lightest weight full metal jacket target bullets possible.

If you're doing it to actually train for practical shooting, you'll have heavy, +P or +P+ factory loaded jacketed hollow point self-defense rounds that you intend to carry.

Accuracy and score with the later will suffer, but there will be some value to the practice outside the game.
    Most gamers run the heaviest bullet possible. Heavier bullets shoot softer than lighter ones at the same power factor.
    Westford Pro 2A

Member:Comm2A (Platinum), SAF (Life), GOAL (Life), NRA (Life), WSC, HSC, IDPA, ICORE, USPSA

I reload lead semi-wad cutters. (.45 - but this applies to 9mm too) - they make BIG holes compared to FMJ. Has gotten me an extra point or two - because I'm not very good .

Quote Originally Posted by herman View Post
    new to this so I was wondering if there were any cheap rounds that you reccomend for the mp that will work well
    i understand some guns work better with different ammo
    You'll need to test it in your gun.

Many (most?) people who are big into IDPA load their own, due to cost and the ability to tailor their load to meet the power floor and give the lowest recoil.

If you're not going to reload, then try several brands of 9mm, and buy the cheapest that works in your gun.