Default Massachusetts Firearms Sales Tax

I have a quick question, I am going to be purchasing my first firearm to get started with doing range shooting. I am looking at a Sig Sauer P229 .357. I was just curious about sales tax on firearms, does the state's standard 6.25% apply or is it different and/or does it have a federal sales tax added?

Thanks

If you buy it from a store there's the standard 6.25% tax.

There is a Federal excise tax (Pittman-Robertson Act) but it is transparent to you because it's already added into the price of the gun by the time you (or even the dealer for that matter) buys it. Then in MA there is the 6.25% sales tax, which you can dodge if you do an inbound transfer, though on most guns the cost of the transfer and shipping is likely to vastly outstrip what you would waste on sales tax.

-Mike

Pittman Robertson is built into all things shooting and archery. It's supposed to go to outdoorsmans activities and the like. This POS state circumvents that somewhat I'm sure.

Remember if u do do an inbound transfer your funds are at least supporting a ma dealer so even though it may be more $ I look at it as better than giving any tax money to Deval and his waste of space govt
    Last edited by Mark from MA; 05-08-2012 at 06:13 AM.

Aren't you supposed to track private purchases and out of state purchases (like booze, butts and Columbian protitutes) and pay the sales tax annually on your state tax return?

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgment. -anon
    The Bird. It flies. It is free. The Human. It hunts. It sees bird. Tonight we TASTE freedom! -EagleEye
    Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves. -Jung
    I am a teenybopper -minininjer
    RMAO -minininjer
    We should not pretend to understand the world only by the intellect; we apprehend it just as much by feeling. -Jung
    I'd rather go more south -minininjer

Quote Originally Posted by namedpipes View Post
    Aren't you supposed to track private purchases and out of state purchases (like booze, butts and Columbian protitutes) and pay the sales tax annually on your state tax return?

i always declare my whores, blow, smokes, and booze. it's the right thing to do and it's for the children.
    stout: these dark, rich beers are called such because after drinking a dozen of them you will feel stout enough to wrestle all four of the cops by yourself.

proud member: lady liberty eskimo brothers crew - mai tai and squid-vomiting champion, 2013 - immer rein und raus - team "protect the children" - team "CORNELL SUCKS". team damaging personal insults absorbed.

DJ "goathammer wubstep jam remixed by nero and skrillex (bassnectar mix)"

Quote Originally Posted by atilla View Post
    i always declare my whores, blow, smokes, and booze. it's the right thing to do and it's for the children.
    You guys pay taxes? Maybe you haven't heard of this but if you quit your job and sit around and whine enough you get a tax free ebt card that you can use for your blow smokes booze and whores. If you have anything left on it you can then cash it out and buy scratch tickets. No wonder you guys can't get ahead in life. You spend too much time working and paying taxes.