Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LTC/A ALP in SPringfield, MA ???

I am going to apply for my LTC/A and I live in the warzone otherwise known as springfield...I have researched and know that Springfield and many other cities/towns in the state will issue the LTC/A with restrictions, but I have heard of a few 'regular' citizens here in Springfield who have been able to get the LTC/A ALP...Just curious if any of you have been succesful, or know of anyone who has and if you can offer me any advice on the matter in terms of my application here in this city. And unfortunately no, moving out of this dump isn't an option for another year or so
    Thanks.

Good luck!

If you don't "know someone" it's probably going to be quite difficult, if not impossible, to be issued for ALP. The licensing officer didn't seem to entertain the thought for a second. After seeing that I had entered: "For All Lawful Purposes - Please see attached", he seemed a little confused and stated that it wasn't even an option. If my reason for requesting the LTC was for personal protection, I should state such. I accompanied my application with a detailed letter (on company letterhead) explaining my need of a firearm for protection due to occupational circumstances as well as hobby interests. I included several varied reasons to avoid "carry for work only" or the dreaded "sporting & target - no carry" restrictions.

He read my letter, asked a few questions, then scratched out the "ALP" on the application and entered "Personal Protection"... which is what my license reads.

Best of luck with your application!

Man, I'm glad I live in my town. The Sgt that processed my form only commented that mine was the tenth application he'd processed that week. Got my LTC/A with no restrictions just this past Friday. Time to find a friendly local gun shop and range!

thanks...Through my employment I have some close connections at the PD but I really don't think that'll help, maybe i'll slip the licensing officer my fraternal handshake, silly as it sounds it almost seems like thats what it takes to get what is 'rightfully' mine. I guess i'll just plead my case as best as i can and see how it goes...Its been said many times before but this whole setup is ridiculous.

What is the difference between "personal protection" and "ALP"?

Quote Originally Posted by Xak View Post
    I just (15 minutes ago) went through the process for LTC/A here in Springfield and was given the LTC/A for 'Personal Protection' , when I spoke with the Lt. who interviewed me he informed me that 'Personal Protection' allows for concealed carry so it appears that there is no real distinction.

They said I should have my license in hand in 5-6 weeks...can't wait!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtitan33 View Post
    I just (15 minutes ago) went through the process for LTC/A here in Springfield and was given the LTC/A for 'Personal Protection' , when I spoke with the Lt. who interviewed me he informed me that 'Personal Protection' allows for concealed carry so it appears that there is no real distinction.

They said I should have my license in hand in 5-6 weeks...can't wait!
    Obviously a department that feels compelled to impose a restriction, however unnecessary.

Default I don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by Scrivener View Post
    Obviously a department that feels compelled to impose a restriction, however unnecessary.
    How exactly is this a restriction? It's a Class A LTC. Does it mean he can only carry it when he feels directly threatened??

Nothing new here in MA, but I really don't get it. Please enlighten

RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be

Sounds like they say it's ok to carry it but they don't want you to practice with it !
    At my age, just about everything pisses me off !

Show me ANY law that would have stopped any of the school shootings.
    Freedom has ceased to be a birthright; it has come to mean whatever we are still permitted to do.
    US Army Security Agency 1967-1971 - NRA Benefactor

If you live in Massachusetts protect your 2nd Amendment rights and donate... Comm2a.org

Quote Originally Posted by Xak View Post
    Personal protection is one of the reasons for requesting a license for "All Lawful Purposes" ALP covers everything you would need or want a gun for, ergo, you don't need to list the buffet menu when answering the question of "Why are you requesting a license?"

"For all lawful purposes, sir (or ma'am)."
    "They say gun owners are compensating for something. They're right. I'm compensating because I'm smaller and weaker than violent criminals."

Don't make me release the flying monkeys!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast