Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Going to my first IDPA this Sat

Will be my first try at CCFandG or Ferry Brook Range in Sullivan NH this Saturday 4/15. Anyone else going or have advice for a newbie?

basic gun safety rules and once you hear the start timer take a deep breath before doing anything!

Its a proven verified fact that the sound of that range timer reduces brain capacity by 50%

Have fun!
    Last edited by BeastlyAdams; 04-12-2012 at 12:00 AM.

Relax, be safe, bring lots of ammo and enjoy the event!!! Let the RO/SO at each stage you are new and they are really great about helping new shooters out. I know I am one and they were great to me last summer. If you don't know or are unsure of something ASK!!!

Get to know the other shooters in your group, there are a lot of people willing to help with advice on stages etc.

Step up to tape, paint or reset targets between shooters, after the RO/SO "clears" the range. This goes along way to moving the event along and gain patience from your fellow shooters.

Most of all be safe, no one will remember your time or scores. But everyone will remember the muzzling of a person or the group, an unintentional discharge or the guy that asked a ton of questions, but didn't help out with the stages!!

Have a blast!!!!!!!!!!
    Safe shooting,
    Scott

GOAL - Member
    NRA - Member
    Comm. 2A - Member
    HSC - Member

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who would prevert the Constitution." ~ Abraham Lincoln

1. The So's job is to yell at you. You might hear things like "Move, Move, Move" Or "Cover". None of those things means you did anything dangerous they are just trying to save your score. Unless you hear "STOP" keep going.

2. You will almost never "unload and show clear" or "Holster" on the clock. So take your time.

3. All the planning goes to shit after the beep.

4. Have a blast.
    Stop complaining about MA and Join GOAL and comm2a if you want to make a difference.

www.downzerotraining.com

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I planned on getting there early to help with setup too since they asked for volunteers. Might help me get a lay of the land a bit better.

Thanks guys for the advice.

Just remember safety is the most important thing. Nobody is going to care how fast you shoot, or how accurately you shoot - just so long as you do it safely. If you are licensed to carry a concealed firearm and come to the range carrying a loaded firearm make sure the very first thing you do upon arrival at the range is seek out someone running the match and let them know you are carrying a loaded firearm. They will then bring you somewhere to make your firearm safe. Don't just take your gun out of the holster and unload somewhere on your own.

Go slow, ask questions and have fun! The shooting community is made up of fantastic people - just let them know you are a new shooter and I'm sure there will be several people more than willing to help you get started.
    NRA Golden Eagle Member, GOAL, MLEFIAA
    Harvard Sportsmens Club; Mattapoisett Fin, Fur & Feather Club; New Bedford Rifle Range; The Rod & Gun Club of New Bedford
    IDPA SOI A28167, USPSA CRO FY62658, SC 1318, ICORE LMA3682
    Revolutionary War Veterans Association
    MPTC Level III Firearms Instructor
    NRA Pistol, Personal Protection, Home Firearm Safety Instructor; Range Safety Officer
    http://www.metrowesttactical.com
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

As far as I'm concerned I'm only competing against myself so it should be fun.

I kind of figured out the unloading thing last week at the bowling pin shoot. I'll unload the carry piece at the 100yd range we pass before getting to the pistol range.

Just to make sure you have the basic bases covered:
    - A strong side holster that you can easily draw and re-holster from with one hand. Nothing worse than a new (any) shooter trying to re-holster a loaded gun in an IWB collapsible holster.
    - At least 18 rounds on the body/in the gun; normally 2 spare mags on the belt.
    - Know the "division capacity" for your division both for a loaded start and a chamber empty start.
    - Eye and ear protection.
    -If you happen to have a mag disconnect gun, know how to unload and show clear.

Have fun and remember winning isn’t everything (It’s the only thing)

David E.

An important thing to remember at an IDPA match - the only time your gun can come out of your holster is under the direction of a safety officer or at the safe table. A holstered gun is a safe gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Nectaris View Post
    As far as I'm concerned I'm only competing against myself so it should be fun.

I kind of figured out the unloading thing last week at the bowling pin shoot. I'll unload the carry piece at the 100yd range we pass before getting to the pistol range.
    Check with the match staff to make sure this is OK. Depending on the club's interpretation of the rules, it may or may not be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast