Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Vermont Trout Fishing tips

out so I go to southern vermont a lot and have tried trout fishing several times and didnt catch anything. I am a extremely experienced salt water fishermen, ive caught it all from blues, to stripers, to bluefin tuna. but what I have trouble with is Trout fishing. I dont fly fish i just use my spinner rod with trout lures and have never had any luck. can anyone point me to some southern vermont trout hot spots or just some tips on bait etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mudd024 View Post
    out so I go to southern vermont a lot and have tried trout fishing several times and didnt catch anything. I am a extremely experienced salt water fishermen, ive caught it all from blues, to stripers, to bluefin tuna. but what I have trouble with is Trout fishing. I dont fly fish i just use my spinner rod with trout lures and have never had any luck. can anyone point me to some southern vermont trout hot spots or just some tips on bait etc.
    Are you interested in Fly Fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by BOBKATT View Post
    Are you interested in Fly Fishing?
    I have tried fly fishing but I just cant get the rhythm down

Learn to fly fish. It's fun. I'm learning now after years of using spinning gear for trout and bass.

Never fished vermont, but if you're in a boat, troll your spoons appropriate to the target and the body you're in. I never did boat stuff.

I was a shore fisherman, and mostly baited for trout, Berkeley powerbait is the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mudd024 View Post
    I have tried fly fishing but I just cant get the rhythm down
    Well, its hard to give advice for spinfishers. I've never found it difficult at all to catch trout with spoons or powerbait or anything like that. As long as there were trout in the water, it seemed like they'd take it. Either I was fishing holes that were loaded with dumb trout, or you're fishing holes that are loaded with the smart ones. I don't know. It was a pretty simple task, the few times that I did it before I learned to fly fish (which I still suck at).

Fly fishing is much more rewarding, but its much more complicated and technically difficult. I wish all that was allowed on the rivers was fly fishing, but I know that wouldn't be right. Something about spincasting for trout just seems wrong. But, that is just me.

tnt works great

Quote Originally Posted by BOBKATT View Post
    Fly fishing is much more rewarding, but its much more complicated and technically difficult. I wish all that was allowed on the rivers was fly fishing, but I know that wouldn't be right. Something about spincasting for trout just seems wrong. But, that is just me.
    Ok "River Runs Through It."

Most anglers have trouble holding their backcast long enough. When you backcast, you want your line in a straight line behind the tip of your rod. Don't go past 2:00 o'clock on the backcast. I try to stop at 1:00 or 1:30. After a while you will learn to feel the rod tip snap back when the line is fully extended. That's when you begin your cast.
    Bill,

Goal Member

NRA Member

Proudly shooting firearms since 1956
    (as a young lad, at summer camp...)

Quote Originally Posted by davemata View Post
    Its rare that you post anything that contributes to the discussion.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by davemata View Post
    yea lets see him fish a small backwoods stream with a 9ft fly rod, good for a few laughs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast