Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

There were probably 90 federal cases with small primers and the other 10 were fiocci also with small primers. The six that wouldn't chamber were federal. I pulled the extractor it was a little dirty but nothing out of the ordinary. The gun only has about 500 rounds through it.

Clean the mags, if they are some what new and you never cleaned them there could be some anti rust compound built up in there. I purchased several S&W mags as NEW OLD STOCK for my 4013tsw. All but 1 mag new in wrapper plus the spring was wrapped in that rust preventive paper wrap Inside the mag!
    Mags get dirty fast. I have had several brands of 1911 mags that just do not function well in one gun but do fine in the other. Funny my best mags are the 7 round ones that came with my first S&W 1911. they fell cheap and look just as cheap also. They are about 8 years old now, still function 100%

I found when first reloading cast bullets the lube would build up on anything it contacts over time(use lee tumble lube). I now tumble my completed rounds to get the lube off.

check your brass and see if the headstamp is winchester nt (non toxic), federal nt, etc. i found that the shells with the nt wont chamber fully in my P345. i dont have a problem with any other brass just those with nt on them. they also wont fully fit in my chamber gauge. i dont know it this is a problem for others or not; maybe its just my gun.
    god, guns, and guts are what made america great.

fairview fish and game association.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

http://www.fairviewsportsmansclub.co...ct/contact.htm

GOAL MEMBER NES MEMBER NRA MEMBER

Is it common for a 1911 to leave a nick in the extractor groove? All my brass has a little gouge in the extractor groove.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.Cal View Post
    Is it common for a 1911 to leave a nick in the extractor groove? All my brass has a little gouge in the extractor groove.
    I can't be sure without actually seeing the case, but a ding in the forward part of the extractor groove is a sign of an extractor that is too long. This might interfere with feeding. It can also cause the extractor to break. The solution to an extractor that is too long is to remove enough material from the point of contact to allow proper clearance. This must be done very carefully as extractors are expensive.

good info on the extractor i learned somthing,i bet the crimp is not rite or un even powder charge causing slide to no go all the way back
    on some rounds and not allowing the bullet enough time to enter chamber strait.only a theory,my glock does it when my powder thrower gets damp.

NES Member

Quote Originally Posted by EddieCoyle View Post
    My money is on the extractor being tight. I bet the Ruger mags have stronger springs. Do the rounds that won't chamber have the same headstamp? Are the rims thicker than the ones that will chamber?

If your rounds gaged OK, then the crimp is OK.
    I was about to write about the same thing. As near as I can tell from the photo, the magazine is pretty much out of the equation at the point where the round appears to have hung up.

If you go to page 61 of Jerry Kuhnhausen's .45 book you'll see a discussion of what I think may be the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.Cal View Post
    I was testing out some .45 Auto re-loads and had trouble with 6 out of 100 rounds. I was using my Ruger SR1911. I narrowed it down to a Chip McCormic magazine. I was able to fire quite a few rounds with the CM mags successfully but there was 6 that would not chamber no matter what i tried with them. Once i put them in the Ruger magazines that came with the gun they chambered and fired without problem. Every single cartridge was checked with calipers and a max cartridge cage. Any ideas? Any specific OAL for CM mags?
    A photo of the offending round would help to diagnose the problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12