Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chambering Problems with .45 Auto

I was testing out some .45 Auto re-loads and had trouble with 6 out of 100 rounds. I was using my Ruger SR1911. I narrowed it down to a Chip McCormic magazine. I was able to fire quite a few rounds with the CM mags successfully but there was 6 that would not chamber no matter what i tried with them. Once i put them in the Ruger magazines that came with the gun they chambered and fired without problem. Every single cartridge was checked with calipers and a max cartridge cage. Any ideas? Any specific OAL for CM mags?

I've loaded .45 hardball to 1.25" OAL and they fed fine with CMC mags. What was the nature of the jam?

Quote Originally Posted by bill o View Post
    I've loaded .45 hardball to 1.25" OAL and they fed fine with CMC mags. What was the nature of the jam?
    It looked similar to this.

1911-jam-web.jpg

How new are the mags, they might just need more break in time. I have similar issues with my new remington 1911 r1, the top round in the mag wont chamber easily when fully loaded, so I filled them 1 short and they worked.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." - Claire Wolfe

Flintoid be freed he must.

Quote Originally Posted by el duderino View Post
    How new are the mags, they might just need more break in time. I have similar issues with my new remington 1911 r1, the top round in the mag wont chamber easily when fully loaded, so I filled them 1 short and they worked.
    I have the two magazines that came with the the gun and also bought a Chip McCormic. They are all fairly new, less than 150 rounds through each one. These are my first couple hundred handloads so I'm leaning towards my own errors somewhere down the line. I never had any feeding issues with WWB or Fed. Champ. I also tried factory ammo for the first few but there was still the half dozen that wouldn't feed with the Chip mags.

My reloads were all between 1.250 to 1.255 OAL, it's not making much sense to me.

Insufficient crimp can cause failures to chamber. If the flare isn't completely removed it can act like a scoop and pick up enough soot to prevent chambering. This problem usually arises after the gun has been fired 40 or 50 times.

I load almost all of my .45 ACP rounds to 1.250 and have had no problems with CmC mags.

Default 45 hang-up

Check your crimp

Probably needs more .473 max. measurement at the front edge of brass case

DOWNWIND

Crimp is a possibility, I crimp my reloads to .469. Leaving a sharp corner sticking up will cause your problem. Many mags just do not work very well. If the round isn't making proper contact with the feed ramp, rounds will just seem to stick before chambering. I like mags with round followers better than the flat ones as they just have worked better for me. A rough feed ramp or one that is not quite on the right angle can also cause your problem. A too tight extractor or one that is mis-shaped sometimes causes problems as well.

My money is on the extractor being tight. I bet the Ruger mags have stronger springs. Do the rounds that won't chamber have the same headstamp? Are the rims thicker than the ones that will chamber?

If your rounds gaged OK, then the crimp is OK.
    I'm doing two Precision Rifle Reloading classes in September. More Info Here...

Never rat on your friends, and always keep your mouth shut.

+1 on the above, have seen it before. Adjusting the 1911 internal extractor can be an art at times. I have also had lots of trouble with CMC mags, one of the issues is the follower can work it's way forward. Two things then happen you scratch your feed ramp and the last round always has an issue feeding. As far as crimp goes make sure you have a good taper crimp. Most 45ACP dies crimp that way, but they need to be properly adjusted. I always pass my match rounds through a single stage press with a taper crimp die in it as a sort of "guarantee"...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast