Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 45/70 1873 trapdoor with 300 grain jhp

I WAS WONDERING ..if any info for jacketed bullets using unique,,,theres some on other forums ,using lead..calling for 12 grains of unique..all lead ..ive looked and looked nothing for jacketed..theres alot of success with 405 lead using ..unique...just was wondering if anyone else thought of this..pistol powder for rifles...but JACKETED...OH BY THE way using triple 7 with lead 405s leaves coorosion on the inside of the brass..IF i need to shoot black powder or substitute..ill stick too a few cases and load as i go 10 then reload at the bench.

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!

Trapdoors are not the stongest actions. Even if they're brand new. It was designd for black, not smokeless, powder.

Personally, I'd not deviate from tried, tested, and proven loads with a Trapdoor. It's designed to throw a big honkin' lump of metal at a moderate velocity.

The characteristics of cast and jacketed bullets are different....and the results might be different. Remember that there are many guns chambered for .45-70 that are of modern design, and loads that are humky-dory there, are trouble in a Trapdoor.

Qmmo on here has two versions, one OK for Trapdoors, one not...there's a reason for it.

Let someone else test Trapdoor loads.
    If you pull a trigger, you have to pull together.
    -Me

Hancock Ale & Quail Society (Legacy Founding Member)
    NRA(Life); GOAL(Family); Southborough Rod & Gun Club
    Club Delegate - Worcester County League of Sportsmens' Clubs
    ATA; MATA
    NRA Certified Instructor (Shotgun, Pistol, Home Firearm Safety); MSP BFS
    Mass Hunter Ed Instructor
    Licensed Bartender

NES Member

Call Alliant and ask them if they have a load for that.

i called they dont,,for jacketed or 300 grain cast either but the old lyman cast book has them for 300 grain cast.

NES Member

Then I would find a different powder. Did you call the bullet manufacturer?

If you are even here asking the question, then deviating from what the powder manufacturer tells you is asking for problems with your gun.

Call them back again, tell them what gun, what boolit, and ask them for a powder recommendation that will work with your gun/boolit. If they don't have any powders that will work with your combo at all, choose another powder company, and call them and ask.

Also, keep in mind that there might be reasons why old listings are not listed any more in published books.
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    Author of a book on reloading

I'd be somewhat reluctant to use a jacketed bullet in an original trapdoor,reproduction ok. Might I suggest Accurate Arms 5744,it's designed to be used in a lot of the old black powder cartrides and should work well in the 45/70.
    My latest Lyman manual has a starting load of 28.5 grs and topping at 32 grs for a 300 gr bullet in the 45/70. Max pressure is 17,200 CUP.

unique was originally developed for rifle..THERES alot of info for unique,using lead,for 1886 winchester 45/70 and 1895 marlin,right out of the lyman cast bullet handbook third edition..SO RESEARCH first,the old load i used was 38 gr of imr 3031.for 300 gr jhp.

NES Member

Quote Originally Posted by improman View Post
    unique was originally developed for rifle..THERES alot of info for unique,using lead,for 1886 winchester 45/70 and 1895 marlin,right out of the lyman cast bullet handbook third edition..SO RESEARCH first,the old load i used was 38 gr of imr 3031.for 300 gr jhp.
    Then go with a lead bullet if you want to use Unique or use your 3031 load for jacketed. I dont understand what you are trying to do. If you can find no info for unique and jacket bullets than I would say that your research shows that it probably isnt a good idea.

Assuming that you are talking about an original trapdoor and not a repro I find it hard to believe that any jacketed bullet would function well in it. Forget about the powder or pressure issues the bullet itself is all wrong. If your trapdoor shoots jacketed bullets well then you are indeed the exception. Most original trapddors have fairly oversize bores and jacketed bullets are just too small. The original trapdoor bullet was a 405 gr hollow base (Lee makes a similar mold today) later the 500 gr roundnose came in. Regardless both bullets were cast with fairly soft lead alloy and the bump of the blackpowder load was meant to expand them to fill the bore. Good accuracy was achieved and leading was kept to a minimum. I strongly recommend "Loading Cartridges for the Original .45-70 Springfield Rifle & Carbine" by J.S. & Pat Wolf. Even if the load you mentioned is perfectly safe (and I do not know if it is) it is al wrong for that rifle. Just my .02.
    " A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke." Rudyard Kipling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast