Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Mass BB gun and pellet gun laws

I ran across a funny thing in coversation about gun laws,hunting and use of bb guns and pellet guns.

I been looking for answers requarding pellet gun use for hunting.
    Aside from all hunting laws apply. When I picked the brains of local LEO
    he basically refered me to the definition of a rifle per mass law

“Rifle”, a weapon having a rifled bore with a barrel length equal to or greater than 16 inches and capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger.

In a nut shell he said if it has a rifled bore it will be treated as a firearm?

Ok so am I missing something. Are all the pelletguns sold in walmart smooth bore now ?

If they can apply this definition, would you be in violation of possession if over 18 and no FID ?

Strange..............any thoughts

Damn good question as the gamos I had were all rifled but they were break action, I wonder if that effects it at all.

sent from my truck while driving down 95 in the high speed lane doing 55

A pellet gun can be a "rifle" but it is still not considered a firearm in MA. Firearm laws do not apply to rifled airguns, period.
    John

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

Never squat with your spurs on.
    Will Rogers

It got a little strange as the only discharge law for bb,pellet,paintball is about discharge across or from a roadway? Interesting also is the 2nd officer who chimed in said there are no bylaws in town reguarding discharge of a pellet,bb,or paint ball except for noise. Here a noise that bothers someone only needs to be audible at 400'
    noty sure but my paintball gun seems very load.???
    Well to cover my ass I have writen permission from my neighbors to hunt on their property.

Quote Originally Posted by yanici View Post
    A pellet gun can be a "rifle" but it is still not considered a firearm in MA. Firearm laws do not apply to rifled airguns, period.
    This. Just do yourself a favor and treat your pellet gun like a real rifle while you're transporting it as to not scare the sheep, and definitely don't stop for lunch at the Burlington mall with it.

Quote Originally Posted by yanici View Post
    Chapter and verse?

Originally Posted by Rob Boudrie

In politics, the only two things that matter are winning and not getting indicted.

Quote Originally Posted by cockpitbob View Post
    Chapter and verse?
    Go look it up yourself if you need to. It's been posted before. Just because a gun has rifling does not a firearm make, in MA.
    John

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

Never squat with your spurs on.
    Will Rogers

Be 18 years old and dont shoot across a road.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/Ge...269/Section12B

How about hunting with a pellet gun...such as killing chipmunks. Do you need to be a certain distance from roads/houses...or does it not matter because its an airgun?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

i remember when i was 16 and tried to buy one. You had to be 18 and if it was over a certain fps you needed an FID or above...below a certain fps you could own. What that fps was i do not remember.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast