Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Anyone ride a 250?

So I'm new to motorcycles, and I'm really looking for a low cost commuter bike. I'm looking at a Cbr250r or a ninja 250r. The cost fits my budget $4k, insurance is right on as well. Ill only be going less than 5 miles a day for work. So a 600cc bike is over kill. I will eventually but being new and budget this is where I'm at.

Between the 2 bikes what do you suggest?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Get a scooter or something big. Distance doesn't matter to me. You want to have enough power to evade trouble. Or, go the scooter route, they'll laugh just as hard if you get the 250.
    Licensed Journeyman.

I would look at the ex500 from Kawasaki. Not a huge power boost over the 250, but I think youd feel more comfortable on it if you did want to do more than just a commute. Its a Vtwin so it doesnt make near the power of an inline 4cyl 600 cc bike its great to learn on, light weight and affordable.

Most of us started on small bikes. Buy what feels right to you. Upgrade if/when you feel the need.

For me I like to go distance and explore the back roads of New England and beyond. So I needed a bigger bike.

If economy is the reason buy a scooter. Cheap, sips gas, reliable.

My first 'street' bike was a 250 duel sport. It was terribly underpowered for street riding. After a week on 2 wheels you will wish you went with something bigger
    TY73127

"Beneath the rule of men entirely great, The pen is mightier than the sword." -Edward Bulwer Lytton.

NES Member

My first bike

thumbnail.jpg

you will out grow that 250 in weeks, do yourself a favor and go 500cc or larger.

Nothing worse than being 4 weeks into bike ownership and wanting out of a bike you are going to be upside down on

PS do not buy from Greater Boston Motorsports in Arlington, or North Reading Honda/Kawi, I have had terrible experiences with them
    Last edited by appraiser; 04-06-2012 at 07:07 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Glockaholic View Post
    you will out grow that 250 in weeks, do yourself a favor and go 500cc or larger.
    You have to decide whats right for you but I agree a 250 will get small real quick. There are a lot of mid size v-twins out there that are very mild mannered and easy to ride yet highway capable when you are ready.

NES Member

The EX 500 is a great suggestion. It's got a good following and has a good class for racing too if you keep it.

Personally, I'd love one of the new CBR 250's. It looks like fun to rip around on locally.

If I had one... I'd probably ride it more than my other bikes.

I have to agree with everyone here. The EX500 is a great little bike. My friend bought one for his girlfriend to learn and ride on. He took it out for a ride when he got it home and when he came back he said. "You gotta try this thing out". So I took it for a ride. Holy crap! Was that thing fun to ride. It's light and nimble, and it's relatively quick without being over powerful like todays bigger bikes. You would be happier with it than a 250 in the long run.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast