Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mclina View Post
    It is a whole lot easier to modify the mag catch than it is to modify every magazine that you buy. I modified the tab on my first 30 round mag, then I decided to be smart and just modify the mag catch.

The modified 30 round mag and the stock Saiga mags will still latch properly even after modifying the catch.

Since you will have to modify the stock Saiga mags anyway, after the bullet guide is installed, there is really no reason not to modify the mag catch. If you don't, then you will have to modify every mag that you ever get.

The rifle looks great. Good luck with it.
    Thanks, great tip. Although, I have 4 mags now which I already modified. And I doubt I would ever own more than 10. It took me about 10 min to modify the 4 mags I have now, so we're not talking about a whole lot of labor involved, but I still would prefer your method. Definately makes more sense that way. I'll live with mine the way it is now I suppose.

I ground and smoothed the underside of the bolt that ridesthe hammer, polished it up pretty well. Then lightly oiled the bolt assembly and greased the contact points of the FCG, cycled it about 50 times...WOW!!! I swear this trigger breaks between 3-4lb. I have a geissele SSA trigger in my AR that is around 4.5lb as comparison and this one is noticeably easier, softer and smoother. I can also manipulate the bolt and chamber a round with my pinky!!

And here it installed in the gun. There are still imperfections on the surface when u look closely, but it is stripped, buffed, and polished pretty good.

Last edited by Ryan9896; 03-24-2012 at 06:17 PM.

The piece that holds the cleaning rod underneath the barrel was ground off on both of my Saigas. Not so on your rifle.

can you please tell me what kind of stock you put on? i'd love to build a tacticool ar with one of those....
    ....and knowing is half the battle.

So I got a good one!!! Is the cleaning rod supposed just jiggle around freely? Or should it be snug? The only thing that keeps the cleaning rod from sliding out is the muzzle brake. But I like the cleaning rod look.

The stock is an Ace skeleton 9.5". U need the adapter block to use this stock.

Here is the final product!! I'm loving it....

I ordered some desert camo 550lb paracord which I'm going to wrap the bars on the stock with to see how it looks. It will serve a purpose in a survival situation, and act as some insulation for the shooters cheek weld.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan9896 View Post
    So I got a good one!!! Is the cleaning rod supposed just jiggle around freely? Or should it be snug? The only thing that keeps the cleaning rod from sliding out is the muzzle brake. But I like the cleaning rod look.
    It screws in on the preban AK-74 that I have.

Not really....

Well, after pulling the AK74 out of the safe and taking a closer look, Flintoid is, of course correct!
    Last edited by Parker Duofold; 04-01-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Banned

cleaning rods do not screw into any AK. They nest into the front sight block via a tension fit between it's FSB nest, handguard retainer, and handguard.

The screws on a cleaning rod are for cleaning attachments that should be found in a AKM cleaning kit, usually housed in the butt stock's trap door.

On a AK74, it nests in between the bayonet lug guide and the forward most FSB pin

nothing is perfect, so it could jiggle around a bit. It's a tight fit on my bulgarian AK74 FSB, but I don't know what a Saiga FSB looks like in detail.

I'm guessing yours is loose because the rod guide on the saiga gas return block has been milled down and isn't providing some tension to the rod along the barrel's length.

that's a good looking conversion. Nice work.
    Last edited by flintoid; 04-01-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flintoid View Post
    cleaning rods do not screw into any AK. They nest into the front sight block via a tension fit between it's FSB nest, handguard retainer, and handguard.

The screws on a cleaning rod are for cleaning attachments that should be found in a AKM cleaning kit, usually housed in the butt stock's trap door.

On a AK74, it nests in between the bayonet lug guide and the forward most FSB pin

nothing is perfect, so it could jiggle around a bit. It's a tight fit on my bulgarian AK74 FSB, but I don't know what a Saiga FSB looks like in detail.

I'm guessing yours is loose because the rod guide on the saiga gas return block has been milled down and isn't providing some tension to the rod along the barrel's length.

that's a good looking conversion. Nice work.

Thanks man!! I'm sure u've seen ur share of conversions, so I appreciate your compliment. Considering this is the first time I've ever had my hands on any type of AK variant, I'm pretty impressed myself. And I started with the model number u suggested, which gave me a nice start. So thanks again!!

Here it is with the paracord on the upper stock bar. It feels better against the cheek, and has a good look, IMO.

Also, can someone confirm for me if I'm 922r compliant? My USA parts are as follows:

Pistol grip
    Stock
    Gas piston
    Trigger
    Hammer
    Disconnector

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast