Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Gammon View Post
    others on the squad must do it for him (or her).
    But that pretty much doesn't happen anymore

Quote Originally Posted by TY43215 View Post
    Too bad. I guess I'll just have to use my nasty brass and leave it on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by TY43215 View Post
    At my first USPSA match, I picked up brass most of the day. I was new to 'scoring behind the shooter', and I didn't want to paste a target early by mistake. People's eyes lit up when I walked up, said nice run, and handed them their brass. I wouldn't at all mind picking brass more if other people did it for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    At my first USPSA match, I picked up brass most of the day. I was new to 'scoring behind the shooter', and I didn't want to paste a target early by mistake. People's eyes lit up when I walked up, said nice run, and handed them their brass. I wouldn't at all mind picking brass more if other people did it for me too.
    When I started in Action pistol, everyone helped. Everyone picked up brass, everyone taped, everyone reset steel. No excuses were made and none were accepted. Every shooter had clean ground to run on. Every open shooter got 90% of their brass back and did not have to find it themselves. I have a rather nice selection of brass bags and always went to the line and left my bag at the start and usually got my brass back. Now I don't bother.

I don't know when this all changed but it has. Brass has become another cost of shooting the match. I guess I am a little different. I reload 9MM so it is nice to get brass back but it has become the exception rather than the rule on outdoor ranges.

I think it is only fair to the people putting on a match to leave the ground as clean as it was when you got there whether you want the brass or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    I'm showing my age and time in the game. We used to call, on deck shooter, hole shooter, everyone else tape and pick brass. Now, it's hard enought to get people to tape, let alone bend over and pick up brass. Not to mention getting run down by the airgunners. A lot of matches I'm still around when things are torn down, I will often pick up brass that's been left on the range.

Part of it is that many people now shoot 9mm or 40S&W, both of which are available on the used brass market for about the same cost as primers. In the old days, it was 45's if you were new to the game; 38super if you had been in long enough to be in open (back then, eveyone's goal seemed to be to buy an open gun). If those were still the dominant calibers, my guess is that you would still see clean ground as both are considerably more expensive (and, in the case of 38 super, bulk once fired brass is generally not available so you have to buy new at about $200/K)
    Check out the USPSA Northeast Section at www.uspsa-ne.org, and the USPSA nationals site at www.uspsa.org

When I shot in MA, I got a lot more super brass back then down here in NY/NJ. But back in MA, there was usually a couple of other open shooters brassing after they shot. Not true here, very few shooters here pick up there brass, even fewer shoot super.

Last year, I shot 9 and 40. Left it on the grounds. I found the matches much more enjoyable to shoot if I wasn't scurrying around on the ground looking for my brass. This year I'm going to 9major, going to shoot it once and leave it, not going to pick up brass, not going to clean brass.
    http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/signaturepics/sigpic296_3.gif

Helping run a match I'd say the thing that's changed a lot is the volume of shooters. There are so many people attending matches that as long as the stages gets taped and steel reset everything else is a bonus. At NB if you leave brass on the range it is gone by that afternoon or the next day so picking it up is not a big priority when we're running our match. I leave a lot of 38 SC on the range at NB because I typically don't have time to pick it up while running a squad - I have to say - I get most of it back. I've had many people pick it up and hand it to me because they know I'm busy. The other thing that far overshadows anybody not picking up brass is the help we get breaking down the match. That happens all the time at the matches I attend and most people don't know just how much it is appreciated. It just goes to show what I already knew - people in this sport or pretty great.

revolvers with moonclips eliminate the problem On.one match the wife came and picked up my brass while I was with the scorer.
    Dave
    The only part of the metric system America has embraced is the 9mm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123