Page 1 of 99 1231151 ... LastLast

Default Free Masons. Who are they, what do they represent and are they worth joining?

The radio station I listen to has been playing the Free Mason's commercial non-stop for the last several weeks. I've heard it before, but for some reason I've been listening to it more this time around.

Can someone tell me what they are all about? What do they do, etc'? Is it like the Elks or Knights of Columbus or is it something more?
    BBQ Chicken, Brisket, Pulled Pork, Sausage, Fries, Mac n Cheese and Corn Bread
    All it's missing is bacon....... And the inevitable heart attack!!!!

There's a number of Free Masons on the forum, rock. Just be patient, I'm sure they'll join in soon.
    "They say gun owners are compensating for something. They're right. I'm compensating because I'm smaller and weaker than violent criminals."

Don't make me release the flying monkeys!!

Yup, Lynne.......you got that right!
    Gentlemen, The Freemasons are all around you. If I remember correctly Freemasonry is one of the largest fraternities in the world.
    Masonry teaches men to be good, true, and practice Charity for all Mankind.
    Anybody care to add anything?

Scott
    Chaplain, Satuit Lodge, AF&AM

It's basically just an excuse for boys to hang out in tuxedos, drink, talk, do the occasional charity gig and put on plays while keeping the women-folk far, far away (they are banned from free-masonry. There's an offshoot group created for women but unlike free-masons, you have to be related in order to join, again to keep the women-folk far away... ) Not that I'm biased against them or anything . But my closest friends and family are involved with them, despite my irritation with their uterus-free leanings. To each their own!

What religion do you have to be ? Women are banned ? That sounds like a good thing,it actually sounds like one of the last places men can be men without having to worry about offending a woman.

Have any women sued Masons demanding admittance ?
    Last edited by Greg; 01-24-2007 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cledus J. Crabb View Post
    Yup, Lynne.......you got that right!
    Gentlemen, The Freemasons are all around you. If I remember correctly Freemasonry is one of the largest fraternities in the world.
    Masonry teaches men to be good, true, and practice Charity for all Mankind.
    Anybody care to add anything?

Scott
    Chaplain, Satuit Lodge, AF&AM
    You hit it,Scotto.
    "Making good men better."
    Check this page Grand Lodge of Massachusetts.
    "To be one, ask one."
    'PUGNA PRO PATRIA'

http://dmoz.org/Society/Organization...New_Hampshire/

Jim,
    I believe the Wilton Lodge is listed in the enclosed link.
    Don't worry......If you have the desire and ask......you won't be ignored.
    CJC

Starksboro, VT (and sometimes Waltham. For now.)

Jim, PM on it's way with contact info for the Lodge in Wilton.

Jen - Patrick's not doing it right. Family HAS to come first in the Fraternity. No, you can't take the degrees and sit in the Lodge room. OTOH, most Lodges DO involve the families. (at least, all the ones I've seen). They'll have outings, holiday parties around Christmas time, dinners... In fact, you & Patrick are hereby invited to Franklin Lodge's next Paintball Fundraiser. It'll be at Fox4 Paintball in Upton on April 14th. Yes, there will be wimmin there (there have been in the previous ones, anyway!)

Now... for RockRivr1's question. The Freemasons are the world's largest AND oldest Fraternity. In our modern form we date back to 1717 (when the Grand Lodge of England was formed). You'll see all sorts of theories about where we sprung from, from the masons who built King Solomon's Temple to the Knights Templar and the simple answer is: no one knows. (personally, from what I've read, I believe the Knights Templar theory.)

We're open to men over 18 who believe in G-d. Important point: we do not care what religion you follow, but an atheist cannot be a Mason.

We try to teach ourselves to be better men, and in so doing, try to make the world a better place one man at a time.

Charity is very important to us; there are so many charities that we support that I couldn't even list them all. I'll start with a few: Shriner's Hospitals & Burn Centers (every Shriner is a Mason first), Red Cross blood drives (Masons are the largest group of donors in the world), the Masonic Angel Fund, etc. We run CHIP events (free for parents of children up to 18, we videotape a short interview with the child, fingerprint them, toothprint them & take DNA samples of them... and EVERYTHING goes back to the parents)...

I'm not doing a real good job on this... let me think on this and compose a better post. Meantime, here's an excellent page with information on the Fraternity.

Rockrivr1, PM inbound with my contact info.

Ross
    Secretary,
    Franklin Lodge AF&AM
    Grafton, MA

Say if I believe in a higher power,not just one that a particualr religion says is right or wrong,is that cool ?

I also see Cledus has a Chaplain before his name..that sounds Catholic to me.

Starksboro, VT (and sometimes Waltham. For now.)

Re: belief in G-d.

Here's a real simple test: Answer this question yes or no.
    "Do you believe in G-d?"

No - You cannot become a Mason.
    Yes - if you're a man 18 or older, you can become a Mason.

I know Masons who are Jewish, Catholic, Northern Baptist, Wiccan & Asatru - and that's just in ONE Lodge!!

Buddhist? Sorry, but no - AFAIK Buddhism does not include belief in a Supreme Being. Muslim? Sure. Flying Spaghetti Monsterism? uh... I'd have to ask Grand Lodge about it.

Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 99 1231151 ... LastLast