Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hashtag vs. Pound sign...

What is the difference?
    And when did "hashtag" go main stream?

It's a pound sign!

I think we Americans are the only ones who call it a pound sign, and even then I don't think that's the right term for it outside of a phone keypad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_sign

Number sign is a name for the symbol #, which is used for a variety of purposes including, in some countries, the designation of a number (for example, "#1" stands for "number one"). The symbol is in Unicode as code point U+0023 # number sign (HTML: #); it is also present in ASCII with the same value.

In Commonwealth English, the symbol is usually called the hash and the corresponding telephone key is called the hash key. In American English, the symbol is usually called the pound sign (outside the US, this term often describes instead the British currency symbol "£") and the telephone key is called the pound key.[1] In Canadian English, this key is most frequently called the pound key but also in some circumstances the number sign key. Beginning in the 1960s, telephone engineers have attempted to coin a special name for this symbol, with variant spellings including octothorp, octothorpe, octathorp, octotherp, octathorpe, and octatherp,[2] none of which has become widely accepted.

In many parts of the world, including Australia, Canadian French, Russia, and parts of Europe, number sign (or equivalents in local languages) means instead the numero sign ("№").

Quote Originally Posted by CRSIII View Post
    What is the difference?
    And when did "hashtag" go main stream?

It's a pound sign!
    The word "hashtag" does not refer to the pound sign. It refers to the string after the pound sign. For example, in #guns the hashtag is "guns." While the etymology of this seems to come from Twitter, it is a common computer science concept called a hash table, and I assume that under the covers Twitter is using essentially a ginormous hash table under the covers. More on hashes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_function

I prefer the "blond hash" tag.
    Eight-On-Tap!

"The founders of this once great republic did not hire attorneys and sue the British troops abusing them and siezing their property.
    They did not write letters to the editor of the newspapers complaining about British troops..."

"They shot them." ~Twigg

It got popular because of twitter and the shit show it is.

I remember when we would get meat from the butcher and it had #2 written on it. As in 2 pounds of whatever.
    I just wish once someone would call me "Sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."
    -Homer Simpson

When my daughter was little she called it the Tic-tac-toe

Quote Originally Posted by davemata View Post
    It got popular because of twitter and the shit show it is.
    I will go to my death calling it an octothorpe just to confuse people...

Actually, I call it pound and see no reason to change, nor tweet, twat, twit or otherwise...
    "You people don't seem to understand. I don't support the Second Amendment... the Second Amendment supports ME!"

how many unix guys still refer to the * symbol as splat?
    I've got an NRA sticker on my Prius

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast