Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

I was a Game Warden At Camp Pendleton, we had to respond to snake calls all over that base. I went to one call in a housing area, The Rattlesnake was in the shrubs by the front door, As I reached in with the hook stick to pick up the whole coil he straightened out and I was pinned on the steps. had to go through the house and call the office for a catch pole. In was a black rattler that is indiginous to San Diego County, SOB was about 4 ft long. Needless to say he was dinner.
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

R.J.Wiedemann.LtCol.USMC Ret.

I never had any snake issues, but in Yuma I did shake big yellow scorpions out of my boots on more than one occasion. We had sidewinders and rattlers too but they never really bothered us.

We had more problems with illegal Mexicans walking through our shoots. And one unfortunate incident with a pack of wild horses while at White Sands....

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms (of government) those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”

“The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government”

If you live in Massachusetts protect your 2nd Amendment rights and donate... Comm2a.org

That was pretty much it. Hawk missiles are designed to explode in front of a jet and create a field of shrapnel that gets sucked into intakes. This one failed and self destructed over the ground....

Allegedly, Camp Lejeune is the habitat for rattlesnakes, cotton mouths and coral snakes.

I saw a few of the cotton mouths, but never any of the others. We did have a cotton mouth make an appearance in the middle of a foot patrol - needless to say the noise discipline and formation took a turn for the worse!

We had more trouble with the bees, ticks, and chiggers.

I live vicariously through my own memories.

Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Any fool can be uncomfortable in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy in NH View Post
    Allegedly, Camp Lejeune is the habitat for rattlesnakes, cotton mouths and coral snakes.

I saw a few of the cotton mouths, but never any of the others. We did have a cotton mouth make an appearance in the middle of a foot patrol - needless to say the noise discipline and formation took a turn for the worse!

We had more trouble with the bees, ticks, and chiggers.

We would occasionally find a coral snake or two in the MP hut at the Snead's Ferry gate at Camp Lejeune. The snakes that always scared the pants off me were the Habu snakes on Okinawa though. I enjoyed the Habu/Mongoose fights in town though.
    John Frye
    Once a Marine, Always a Marine
    Semper Fidelis

1977-1979 MP Co., H&S Bn., MCB Camp Lejeune
    1979-1980 7th Counterintelligence Team, Okinawa
    1980-1981 HML-771, 4th MAW, NAS South Weymouth

When I was in SOI in Lejuene a kid was on med hold for "charming a rattle snake." Apparently he did his job because it kissed him on the hand. My instructors killed a couple with e-tools on fighting hole week.

Mike

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by derek View Post
    I don't know the name of the plant that makes Camp Pendleton smell the way it does but when I smell it I think of Edson Range and humping up the grim reaper.
    Lying in my sleeping bag and seeing headlights on Interstate 5 knowing every single car was either going to Taco Bell or McDonalds and I already polished off my MRE for the night.
    I have similar memories of, lets call them...leisurely jogs on the beach... and looking out to the water and seeing people in boats having a grand old time.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    NRA Firearms Instructor

Check out ItsTime2A you can thank me later

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by JWPaolilliJr View Post
    Lots of eucalyptus trees in that area.

I have never eaten an MRE, The shit we got in the field came out cans, C rations. But could we ever work some magic on that stuff.
    You bet. All you needed was some hot sauce. Remember those damn ham and mutha's and
    trading like crazy for the cinnamon nut roll?

Forum Curmudgeon

I would give 100 bucks for a case of the old B-Units. I even liked the Ham and Lima beans.....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast