Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anyone know how much it would cost to build an attached 2 car garage?

My gf and I are looking at a house in NH but it doesn't have a garage. The price is low for that reason but having one is a requirement of ours.

Anyone know roughly how much it would cost to build an attached garage and room above it?

The house is on a slope so ideally it would be best to excavate and build the garage at basement level.
    The ideal 2 car garage would be truck friendly (long and high).
    A great room on top of the garage would be nice as well.

Banned

Last time I looked into it it was amazingly expensive. I seem to remember the figure of $40k being thrown around. Figure $20 per SF for a minimum of 400 SF. It goes up from there. A carport is MUCH less expensive and DIY kits are available.

We're looking at converting our very well and over-built carport into a a garage at some point and when I asked the home inspector (who is a licensed contractor) his comment was: "If you're in any way sweating this mortgage, you can't afford it yet."

I built a 800sq ft addition 20x20 two floors w/ cellar 8yrs ago was 80k unfinished.

There is a place on Rt 16 in Douglas, MA that has a couple of model garage's on display. If I remember correctly, the two-car one had a big banner with the price of $26K. Obviously I have no idea what is included in that price or whether that price is really for the two-car of just a starting price for a garage.

Edit: I think the place is called GBI-AVIS and here is their current add http://www.gbi-avis.com/userfiles/Z6...Bldrs_7_22.pdf.

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with this company. It's just that every time I drive by the place I wish I could have one those two-car garages.
    Last edited by Big_Red; 01-15-2012 at 08:46 AM.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" -- Cesare Beccaria

Quote Originally Posted by xtry51 View Post
    Nothing spreads fear like finding out you just got shot in the dick.

Figure about $50/sq ft including the excavation and concrete work (foundation and slab). Obviously the price can vary depending on how much you do and how much you finish it off with insulation, sheet rock, heat, etc.

Got dimensions and a basic idea of what you want to do as far as construction type (slab or foundation, what type of framing, etc.)??

You could sit down and figure this out for yourself and get a good idea of what the materials at least would cost.

I've spent the last few years building a large garage/barn - and I have done probably 95% of the work myself. The largest pieces I contracted out where having the foundation poured ( I dug the hole myself), and having the slab poured.

The cost of all the work associated with the foundation (forms being set, concrete poured, cost of concrete, etc) - was $8900. That was four years ago - for a foundation wall 28ft wide x 44 ft long x an average of 6ft high.

Quite frankly there are all sorts of options here - a lot of it depends on exactly what you want to build. Fancy architecture? Just a plain box with no insulation? Can you do some or most of the work yourself? etc.

Even in New England if you have a flat location - you can get away with a slab if it is constructed properly. Your post indicates though that you may want or have to excavate to put in the garage - so now you're talking about foundation walls.

I don't recall off the top of my head how much the foundation floor cost to have poured, but I think it was in the $6000 range once all the cost of concrete and labor was added up. The floor slab I had poured was thicker than the normal floor (6 inches) because I sunk radiant heat tubes in it and wanted strength for heavy loads.

I don't really have a final cost estimate - but I believe I have spent in the range of $75k so far on this structure:

(that picture is from earlier this year before I finished a lot of the outside work)

This is for a building with cedar walls shingles, architectural shingles on the roof, 2x6 framed walls, 2x12 framed roof, a 24x28 floor for the 2nd floor that is framed with a large steel beam and extra HD wooden I-joists, lots of windows, architectural garage doors (probably 3x the cost of plain steel door) - etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Depends what you build it with. Cement block? Wood frame? Dirt floor? Could be $10k to $100k

It's the tie-in to the house that is the big wildcard. Gable wall or eave wall? That and if the existing living space extends into the new and what level of finish.

"Pat you owe me a beer" Derek
    "Send It"

Quote Originally Posted by Lignum Vitea View Post
    I built a 800sq ft addition 20x20 two floors w/ cellar 8yrs ago was 80k unfinished.
    Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by calsdad View Post
    Got dimensions and a basic idea of what you want to do as far as construction type (slab or foundation, what type of framing, etc.)??

You could sit down and figure this out for yourself and get a good idea of what the materials at least would cost.

I've spent the last few years building a large garage/barn - and I have done probably 95% of the work myself. The largest pieces I contracted out where having the foundation poured ( I dug the hole myself), and having the slab poured.

The cost of all the work associated with the foundation (forms being set, concrete poured, cost of concrete, etc) - was $8900. That was four years ago - for a foundation wall 28ft wide x 44 ft long x an average of 6ft high.

Quite frankly there are all sorts of options here - a lot of it depends on exactly what you want to build. Fancy architecture? Just a plain box with no insulation? Can you do some or most of the work yourself? etc.

Even in New England if you have a flat location - you can get away with a slab if it is constructed properly. Your post indicates though that you may want or have to excavate to put in the garage - so now you're talking about foundation walls.

I don't recall off the top of my head how much the foundation floor cost to have poured, but I think it was in the $6000 range once all the cost of concrete and labor was added up. The floor slab I had poured was thicker than the normal floor (6 inches) because I sunk radiant heat tubes in it and wanted strength for heavy loads.

I don't really have a final cost estimate - but I believe I have spent in the range of $75k so far on this structure:

(that picture is from earlier this year before I finished a lot of the outside work)

This is for a building with cedar walls shingles, architectural shingles on the roof, 2x6 framed walls, 2x12 framed roof, a 24x28 floor for the 2nd floor that is framed with a large steel beam and extra HD wooden I-joists, lots of windows, architectural garage doors (probably 3x the cost of plain steel door) - etc.
    Since I'd have the option of building it the way I'd want:
    I'd like to be able to fit a truck in it so it'd have to be longer than a typical 80's garage. My guess is 28 ft long and 28 ft wide (room for reloading or a small workshop on the side.

I don't know much about the differences in construction but I'd assume a poured concrete foundation. Framing? Whatever is industry standard (if there is one)

I am handy and can do some work myself. Insulation and drywall would be pretty easy. I don't have experience with much else but I'm good with my hands. I just need some guidance on what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Realtor MA View Post
    Depends what you build it with. Cement block? Wood frame? Dirt floor? Could be $10k to $100k
    I'm looking to add convenience for myself and gf...and also add value to the house. The only reason this house hasn't sold yet is because there is no garage. Ideally the value of the home would be increased at least as much as the cost to build the garage.

In the area that the house is in homes with a 2 car garage are asking roughly 50k more.

Quote Originally Posted by calsdad View Post
    That $75k with you doing the work over a few years means realistically, to have that built on a typical timetable is double that.
    People are always shocked at the cost to buld additions/garages. As mentioned, the tie in ads a lot of cost. My typical response to someone's estimates were to take their numbers and add 30-50%.
    A .30-06 man in a .223 world.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast