Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Infrared heaters...do they actually work?

I want to buy a portable heater to supplement the heat in my home office during the really cold days. I've been reading about infrared heaters and I am somewhat baffled by the reviews. Large numbers of people state that the heaters do not produce enough heat. Is it possible that they expect the same effect as with space heaters? I have an understanding of how infrared heaters work (heating objects vs. heating air around) but I have yet to actually experience one.

Does anyone here use infrared heaters? Do you like/dislike them? How large of an area are you heating?

Thanks
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" -- Cesare Beccaria

Quote Originally Posted by xtry51 View Post
    Nothing spreads fear like finding out you just got shot in the dick.

I picked up an EdenPURE model a couple years ago. It heats my finished basement really well (~1,200 sq feet), no complaints at all.

Edit: This one
    Last edited by Force; 01-05-2012 at 12:51 PM.

I have four units, similar to these that I use in an unheated shed. The upside is that they're easy to install, and they do focus the heat on a small area where you may be working. Cons: being electric, they're expensive to run. Because they heat objects, not air, they're really not suitable for raising the ambient temp in a large area, but that's not their intended purpose. If you let them run long enough, they will warm the objects they're pointed at, which will in turn give up that heat to the atmosphere and raise the general temperature, but it's a slow, expensive process.

My home office is in a centrally heated basement. If I find it getting chilly I have one of these that I run under my desk. It works very well. Keeps me toasty without having to raise the temp in the whole basement. The tubes heat a curved metal shield and the built in fan (very quiet) moves the warmed air out to the room. You'll also get direct infra-red heating of whatever the unit is aimed at. Built-in thermostat so it cycles on and off. Works very well, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. (Mine is almost identical to the one in the link, but the brand is Holmes, not Sunbeam. Mine has been running flawlessly for over three years. The Sunbeam reviews indicate that their model has a high failure rate.)
    “Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.” -George Washington-

Click here to join GOAL now. While you're at it, this will let you join NES! Your guns will thank you!

I had one and didnt like it. As you know, you have to point the radiant heater at something to heat it up. Then that thing heats up the environment. In my experience, if you point it at a work area or bench, the objects on the bench (including you) get pretty warm pretty quick, but the air is still cold, and if you pass out of the way of the "beam" you are cold again instantly. So, I didnt really like it. I got a space heater that threw off gobs of heat and was happier with that.
    I just wish once someone would call me "Sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."
    -Homer Simpson

I have a small $20 quartz 400/800 watt one I use at work. Keeps me toasty, and actually heats the office on mild days. One of the guys that used to work here caught his pants on fire with it. At home I have one of the dish type heaters that occilates (I beleive that one is also 400/800 watt, $30) and I use it on a timer to keep myself and my bedroom warmer than the rest of the house at night. Both work well, but the dish throws a more concentrated "beam" than the quartz.

Infrared heaters are best for areas where containing warm air is not practical.

Think of a patio or garage, maybe with the doors open.

The energy is not wasted heating the air that will just convect away anyway.

But it can warm you from across the room without heating the air..

If you have an enclosed are that is not too drafty, I would recommend against infrared, radiant heat, unless it is hybrid radiant and convective.

I finally broke down today and set this quartz heater up under my desk. I work in my basement so don't want to warm up the air just myself. I've found that warm up my lower body keeps the rest of me warm.

It's pretty small and inexpensive, but keeps me toasty. I also like that there are two settings, 400/800, so I can keep the lower one on and save some electricity.

Go into any big box store and there are infrared heaters at the checkout area. Again trying to heat the people not the air.

I have had an infrared heater for about two months now and like it very much. It's less expensive than a space heater, costing me about 13 cents per hour to run. It has cut down my oil use quite a bit, and I am very pleasantly comfortable in the main living area of my house. I heat about 900 Sq Ft with the 1500 Watt model I have. It's VERY comfortable, and a nicer heat than forced hot air from my furnace.
    Better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and prove it!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    I finally broke down today and set this quartz heater up under my desk.
    Thats the one I mentioned using at work. Works out well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast