Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default Ammunition storage cabinets?

Am looking for locking/lockable cabinets or other types of containers to store ammo. Am ideally seeking something that could hold multiple cases of ammo. What have you folks found that works well for you? Links to commercially available products appreciated. Thanks!
    Eventual Master of the Obvious

NES Member

I've been thinking of buying one of those cheap fire safes that goes on sale at Lowes every once in a while. About $200 ish.

Don

***ok, based on further reading. I'm going to leave it in the Plano storage boxes I'm using now.
    Last edited by dcmdon; 12-08-2011 at 01:21 PM.

I use a Stack-On cabinet (14 rifle model) with shelves that I built. Low cost and plenty of room for cases of ammo (at least a lot more room than Stack-Ons Ammo Cabinet). I'm in RI so we don't have the storage requirements that Mass. has but I believe it will qualify as suitable storage. It only ran me $150 at Bass Pro.
    Certified Pistol * Metallic / Shotgun Reloading * Home Firearm Safety Instructor and Range Safety Officer

"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat. ----- R. Adm. "Jay" R. Stark, USN; 10 Nov. 1995

I've been thinking that one of those jobsite boxes might be a good solution.

I use a three drawer file cabinet. Plenty if space and I can segregate by caliber.

If that's all the space you guys need, then you don't have enough ammo.
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

R.J.Wiedemann.LtCol.USMC Ret.

Quote Originally Posted by dans View Post
    I use a three drawer file cabinet. Plenty if space and I can segregate by caliber.
    All the ones I see around are so flimsy it seems like they would buckle.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious

I got one of these that I found on Craigslist. I think I paid $50.00 for it a couple of years ago. I keep ammo, parts, cleaning supplies, and other gun related stuff in it. I keep the ammo on the bottom shelf and I reinforced that with 3/4" plywood for stiffness. The shelves are adjustable and it holds a lot of stuff.

I started with a much smaller cabinet, moved to a single drawer file cabinet, and then to this. If I outgrow this, I'm going to start worrying about having too much ammo.

How much space you need depends on the number of different calibers, how much ammo per caliber you plan to have on hand, and of course how much floor space you have. Generally get something bigger than you think you will need because at some point you'll find that you bought too small if you don't.
    Support Comm2A and help restore your Second Amendment Rights.

I got some good responses to a thread I started about this a while ago. The most useful tip I think was "Compression is not your friend. I would leave the safe for the guns and buy a cabinet for the ammo and powder. Something with vents."

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbu...y-ammo-storage

Ya, I'd keep an eye on craigslist for locking cabinets or fireproof file cabinets (they're pretty heavy duty). Wally world also has a 14-18(forget which) safe/cabinet for 149.99 that would work well.
    "Well sir, I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it" Peter G.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws,THAT'S INSANE!" Penn J.
    "I'm doing you now"-minininjer
    "I recognize your NIPPLE"-minininjer
    "It wouldn't go in the hole. I kept going lower so now I have two holes there"-minininjer
    "Come on down and eat at the V, y'all!"-minininjer
    "My jaws get tired"-minininjer
    "I've never been so wet before"-minininjer

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast