Default internal hinge gun safe, can the door be removed?

I have a Champion Challenger Gun Safe that I want to move. I have moved it myself several times but this time it's going up some stairs. I know it has internal hinges and was hoping someone has one and has tried to take the door off.

Old Screen Name - Tommy258

North Central MA

I too have a safe with the internal hinge and asked a "safe" company if they come off. I was told no. They said even if you think you can get it off, it won't line up again. Mine safe is a Cannon, but has the same type internal hinge. Try calling a few safe dealers and see if you get the same answer.

Tommy, If I were moving a safe, I'd empty it and hire a professional. Such as a safe company or a moving company. You may want to contact NES member Atlas about this. He works for Atlas Movers.
    See everything you need to see at

Cranston RI

Had same problem with internal hinge. Made 2 plates and drilled and bolted them to the back of the hinge to maintain the alignment then removed them and cut the hinge and rebolted the door after I moved it. No problems at all. Option 2 is 3-4 friends, case of beer and a refrigerator hand truck.

Last edited by Dnotarianni; 11-19-2011 at 07:03 PM.
    The only part of the metric system America has embraced is the 9mm