Default How to hell to disassemble an old Smith and Wesson 916T Shotgun

I recently acquired an old Smith and Wesson Model 916T, 12 Gauge Shotgun.

Does anyone know the barrel can be removed for this model?
    For the life of me, I can't seem to unscrew the barrel nut holding the barrel onto the gun.
    Looks like I should be able to unscrew it, just like other shotguns.

This thing won't budge....

Also, this model seems to have a bad reputation. Based on all the online research, I am afraid to shoot it due to potential "exploding" barrel issues.

Thanks
    Q
    Last edited by qman; 10-18-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Some thoughts.

Have you looked in the Manuals sub-forum. There are some links there to websites with very comprehensive numbers of manuals.

Check with the S&W website. They have online manuals for most of their guns.

Worst case, call S&W Support and ask them to Email/Fax you the manual or breakdown of disassembly/assembly for this gun.
    Mass. Gun Laws By and For Non-Lawyers (How To Stay Legal and Out of Trouble) - Seminar
    http://home.comcast.net/~safety-instructor

NRA Certified Instructor and Range Officer

We have met the enemy and he is US!

There is a recall on these guns and if you ship it to the factory they will replace the barrel.

http://firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls%205.htm

In that case contact S&W and ask about the procedure to follow. Likely they will pay shipping both ways.
    Mass. Gun Laws By and For Non-Lawyers (How To Stay Legal and Out of Trouble) - Seminar
    http://home.comcast.net/~safety-instructor

NRA Certified Instructor and Range Officer

We have met the enemy and he is US!

Smith & Wesson built the 916 (sportsman version), the 916A (riot version) and the 916T (takedown version).

So obviously it is supposed to come off, but I never handled one so cannot help.

Yeah, the 916T is a bit weird. Screw the cap 'in' to loosen it from the barrel pin (actually tighten to the right) . It does not come off but it goes down to expose the pin. Hit the button to release the slide and pull back the pump lever part way. The barrel then takes a half turn and unlatches at the end where the pin protrudes at the cap. You should be able to wiggle it away and pull the barrel from the receiver.

I had a 916T for a long time and used it for a backup hunting gun. Yes, there seemed to be a recall from the 70's and S&W will refer you to another gunsmith in TN if you need parts. The only problem I had was a broken firing pin. After I fixed that, it didn't have any problems. It's a good dependable shotgun. Nice and light.

I think I may still have the manual somewhere but I do remember it's in a pdf format on some website if you look around.
    Last edited by pj150; 10-19-2011 at 09:20 AM.

I have one and the nut should turn clockwise then the barrel should turn 1/4 turn and come out. T barrel on mine turns very hard.

Thanks for all the info guys... I just got off the phone with SMITH. They said they have no barrels available and the recall is not honored anymore.
    Apparently the barrel would be marked with an "O" if it had been replaced. I am going to check later tonight.

I was able to get the thing apart after some minor muscle. Does anyone know if I can swap the barrel on the 916T with the barrel from the 916A (Riot version)?
    I hate the long barrel....