Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Whats the right thing to do

So, today in Holbrook, MA a woman leaving a bank gets pulled over by what she believes is an actual undercover police officer. The man was not an officer but a thief who seen her leave a bank in Weymouth and robbed her. He told her he was armed, knew she had just left the bank and that there'd be no trouble if she cooperated. So, my question is this, what can I do or should I do when getting pulled over by an undercover police officer. I would never want to do anything that'd appear I didn't want to cooperate with an officer but I also don't want to put myself in harms way when there is something I can do to avoid this type of possible situation.

Did the undercover have lights, etc or did he just wave her over? If there is ever any question you should either call 911 (and keep driving) or drive to the closest police station. I'd be interested in hearing from a LEO on this subject as well.

Crazy, I tell my sister she gets pulled over, she should drive to a main road and pull over, call 911 asap if it feels funny, or drive to the police station like Bob_Sig 226 said. Tough situation if you owe a gun, I would suggest to try to get some type of training on something likes, god forbid you pulled out on a real cop

Dial 911 and have them either confirm its an officer behind you or have them guide you to the nearest police station.

If there's any doubt don't stop at least until you get to a populated area.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum - If you wish for peace, prepare for war

Have you heard about the vast Libertarian conspiracy? We want to take over the government and then.... Leave you alone.

Even on a main road, you are on your own unless just by accident a real police car happens by and decides to stop. It's not like the average citizen is going to help.

Quote Originally Posted by xtry51 View Post
    Dial 911 and have them either confirm its an officer behind you or have them guide you to the nearest police station.

If there's any doubt don't stop at least until you get to a populated area.
    That makes a lot of sense, but you just know a real officer is going to be very pissed if that happens. That's a big part of the problem as I see it. Who do you fear more, some random criminal or a really pissed off cop who just followed you 5 miles to the nearest police station? And for bonus points, say you are carrying too.

That's exactly what I don't want to do is anger the police officer so I was hoping for some input by one. Once you are pulled over you are trapped and he may possibly have your information if you hand him your license and registration. I was just wondering what police officers would like to happen, maybe drive with your flashers on while calling the 911 until they are confirmed?

There is no good answer to being pulled over by a fake cop.
    If it is a real cop and you don't stop your screwed and may be looking at some serious charges.

Anyone posing as LEO should be put away for a long time to deter this crap from happening.

I know in some states it is legal to continue driving to a secure location. Apparently in the people's republic of MA it is not. I found this on the Hatfield, MA police website:

MYTH #6: An unmarked cruiser is trying to pull me over. Because I can't verify it is a real police officer I don't have to stop.
    FACT #6: Wrong. Many police agencies, including the Hatfield Police Department, use unmarked vehicles to patrol roads and conduct traffic stops. If a vehicle is trying to pull you over and it is displaying flashing or rotating blue lights then you are required by law to stop for it. If you are unsure about the legitimacy of the police officer approaching your vehicle, lock all your doors. Roll down the driver's window just enough to carry on a conversation through the window and pass your license and registration to the officer. The officer is required by law to identify himself/herself as a police officer and have his/her badge displayed in a prominent location. Most police officers, including all Hatfield officers, also carry an official picture identification card issued by their department that you may ask to see, to verify his/her identity. If the officer is not in uniform or if you are in a very isolated or rural area, ask the officer to send another, marked cruiser with a uniformed officer to your location. Or ask the officer to follow you to the nearest police station or well-lit area. Once you have established that he/she is a police officer, you must comply with all lawful requests.
    Either way, if it were my wife and she had a cop try to stop her in an unmarked car in the middle of nowhere, I would have her keep driving and call 911. We will deal with the consequences later if the cop wants to be a dick about it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast