Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
    For water storage, I posted this in another thread, but here it is again: http://www.waterbob.com/Welcome.do;j...F678ABBD09BBD2

The website says it's backordered, but you can probably find one if you shop around. I also keep a dozen or so cases of poland spring on hand for daily drinking and storage. If kept in the basement, they easily last a couple years. I would also suggest that you get a good filter like this one: http://www.katadyn.com/usen/technica...atadyn-pocket/

A can of powdered pool shock or a few bottles of bleach are a good prep also for water purification. 1 teaspoon per gallon, shake well, let sit. Water is going to be your most valuable resource in an emergency, don't skimp on it. I also think it's overlooked as a possible barter item. Everyone is going to need clean water, but not everyone is going to have it or know how to make it.
    Just to clarify your post, pool shock (calcium hypochlorite) is first made into a solution(which is basically a chlorine bleach) and then added to the water being purified.

The dry calcium hypochlorite IS NOT used directly into the water being purified.

Here's the recommendation from the EPA website.

GRANULAR CALCIUM HYPOCHLORITE.

Add and dissolve one heaping teaspoon of high-test granular calcium hypochlorite (approximately 1/4 ounce) for each two gallons of water. The mixture will produce a "stock chlorine" solution of approximately 500 mg/L, since the calcium hypochlorite has an available cchlorine equal to 70
    percent of its weight. (THESE STOCK CHLORINE GALLONS ARE LIKE BLEACH GALLONS)

To disinfect water, add the clorine solution in the ratio of one part of chlorine solution to each 100 parts of water to be treated. This is roughly equal to adding 1 pint (16 0z.) of stock chlorine to each 12.5 gallons of water to be disinfected. To remove any objectionable chlorine odor, aerate the water by allowing the water to stand exposed to the air for a few hours
    or by pouring it from one clean container to another several times.

As always if the water is colored or cloudy add more of the solution (EPA says for regular Chlorine Bleach to double the amount of chlorine used).
    Last edited by Finalygotabeltfed; 08-21-2011 at 09:47 AM.

The Three Percent.
    We are not going away
    I refuse to bear the guilt or suffer punishment for another man's actions, imposed on me by dictatorial, agenda driven legislators or an ignorant and brainwashed public.

Quote Originally Posted by RATTLESNAKE View Post
    Great channel.. I was on there earlier and came across a movie trailer that looks pretty cool. It is a Definate SHTF movie!! Here is the link to the movies home page if anyone is interested.http://www.remnants-movie.com/
    Oh yeah , I watched that trailer a while ago.. It's just awesome that these guys (southernprepper and Engineer775 and others) are sharing so much of what they are doing. I'm really glad to see more people wanting to share and work together..

as for water I have been using the Katadyn filters for years. I am looking into a large cistern for storing filtered ground water to supplement my town water consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by RATTLESNAKE View Post
    Great channel.. I was on there earlier and came across a movie trailer that looks pretty cool. It is a Definate SHTF movie!! Here is the link to the movies home page if anyone is interested.http://www.remnants-movie.com/
    ide love to see that movie come out
    -Snacks

Sic semper tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by Gak44 View Post
    I wish we knew how much time we have until everything goes south.
    2 years, 4 months, 2 weeks, 3 days and 6-7 hours give or take... You're welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by atilla View Post
    ban children.

it's for the children.
    Quote Originally Posted by derek View Post
    Don't worry dude, you won't even hear the sonic crack before the fade to black.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerJoker6.0 View Post
    ide love to see that movie come out
    Definatly!! Most likey independant run some theaters ect.., so looks like Internet or strait to DVD.

NES Member

Most of the money for Remnants was raised via the Web. For a while if you donated $25 you would get a copy of the DVD when it came out. Last I heard was they are coming out end of Sept.

In the beginning of this thread, folks were wondering how to convince the women that prepping was a good idea.

Well, it's hurricane season. We haven't had a bad one in a while and I would say we are due.

Remember Hurricane Bob? I remember we had no power for a few days. Preppers lived just fine - others maybe did not. And that was only a few days.
    http://www.boston.com/Boston/metrode...GpM/index.html

i have a berkey system, works great, we use it for direct drinking, anything made with water, i.e. tea coffie etc. it takes the after taste out of the water, and i'm sure a bunch of crud we cant taste. i got it online from "the berkey guy"

gulfmp
    i picked up from shelfreliance.com a can rotation system. you put the new cans in the top and the older stuff comes out the bottom. cost an arm and a leg but well worth it. plus it keeps the wife from grabbing the first can she comes across when making dinner

Quote Originally Posted by smurf447 View Post
    gulfmp
    i picked up from shelfreliance.com a can rotation system. you put the new cans in the top and the older stuff comes out the bottom. cost an arm and a leg but well worth it. plus it keeps the wife from grabbing the first can she comes across when making dinner
    Those are nice, but too expensive for me. I bought a couple steel shelves from Home Depot during the black friday sale. I just pull the old stuff to the front when I get new cans. Most of the long term stuff I have is freeze dried in #10 cans or dry goods packed in buckets with mylar and 02 absorbers, so I don't worry about rotation too much.

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast