Default Anyone interested in a Lyman/Ideal 457483 (458 Caliber GC) Bullet Mould group buy?

My 458 SOCOM upper will not be in for a while so thought I would plan ahead.... I cast all my bullets and have a couple of WFN moulds for my Marlin that I was thinking about using and it looks like a Lyman/Ideal 457483 would be another great mould for this caliber.... Pretty popular for the 45/xxx as well as the win mag crowd so should be good for the SOCOM as well.... This is a round nose gas checked bullet that drops around 385 grains in wheel weight alloy.... The original Lyman/Ideal mould is pretty much unobtanium (out of production) so this would be a clone available (if there is enough interest) in potentially as many as 5 cavities per mould....

Have started an interest thread over on Cast Boolits to see if there is enough interest in getting this run.... Usually you need a minimum of 10 for it to be a go.....

Thought it would be worth posting here in case you want to check it out.

457483 Group Buy Interest

While the final pricing depends on the the specific mould maker that steps up for this, the following are representative prices from a current NOE group buy:

Standard Molds
    Single cavity mould $68.00 Ea.
    Double cavity mould $72.00 Ea.
    Three cavity mould $79.00 Ea.
    Four cavity mould $85.00 Ea.
    Five cavity mould $92.00 Ea.
    Last edited by Bob J; 06-24-2011 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Added ball park pricing

I'm interested if the price is reasonable, looking for a GC design for 45-70.

ETA: Bob I made a post on CB too.
    Last edited by Slowdive; 06-24-2011 at 01:25 AM.

Bob what would the dropped size be, I size my 45-90s @ .458 and am thinking the next mould I would try @ .459.

Quote Originally Posted by Manomet View Post
    Bob what would the dropped size be, I size my 45-90s @ .458 and am thinking the next mould I would try @ .459.
    I think it drops .458 which I think is pushing the limits for the gun I am getting (RRA).... Don't have the upper yet but would expect from some of the folks I have been discussing this with that it would slug right at .458.... Would like a minimum of .459 and ideally .460.....

The nice thing about custom moulds is that you can make changes to a standard design..... Did this for a recent 8mm mould (323471, specified it as "fat") so that it could be used in a wider range of barrels.... It's fairly easy to size down but unless you "beagle" the mould it's hard to make it bigger...

If you would like to try some of these bullets before considering getting the mould you might try this (taken from a reply to my post on another forum):

If you would like to try some of these bullets before investing in a mould, e-mail bill10@verizon.net He's reasonable and you'll love the way he packages his bullets. Wink

Jack... Cool
    Last edited by Bob J; 06-24-2011 at 08:24 AM.

Still in based on that pricing. I'd take any configuration if required to make group buy happen.

No problem.... The way the cast boolit group buys work is you can order any number of cavities and also in some cases gas checked or not without a problem.... Both NOE and Miha (our two most prolific group buy custom mould makers) usually require at least 10 members showing interest before they figure it's worth setting up and running.... Hopefully we can get enough interest to make this work....

Quote Originally Posted by Slowdive View Post
    Still in based on that pricing. I'd take any configuration if required to make group buy happen.

Default Group buy is now open

Group buy for this awesome mould is now open.....

To accommodate all of the potential shooters the "as dropped" diameter has been increased from 457 to 460 and it is being offered with options for plain base as well as hollow point configurations.... As dropped weight is still targeted for around 387 grains but will probably drop closer to 400 grains depending on your alloy...

This will be my "go to" bullet for my 458 socom since the round nose meets my needs for a high BC bullet which will feed reliably from standard mil spec AR mags....

The link to the group buy is here:
    460483 group buy

The details are:

It will be gas checked unless you specify plain base. We can get gas checked and non gas checked cavities cut in the same mold. Please indicate what you want in your order. You can also order your mold with a cavity drilled for the temp probe that NOE offers (Link with explanation HERE).

The molds will be produced by Night Owl Enterprises (NOE) in their standard 1-5 cavity molds AND the RG Hollow Point molds.
    Hollow pointing a single cavity in their standard 1-5 cavity blocks is available.

The group buy will run until about two weeks before production. I will make a final call for payments then.

Round Nosed Boolit

Moulds will be machined from 2024 Aluminum
    Used for high strength structural and aircraft applications.
    Tensile strength range 30,000 to 63,000 psi
    Sprue plate (blued), alignment pins, and hardware will be
    carbon steel.

The cost will be as follows:

Standard Molds
    Single cavity mould $68.00 Ea.
    Double cavity mould $72.00 Ea.
    Three cavity mould $79.00 Ea.
    Four cavity mould $85.00 Ea.
    Five cavity mould $92.00 Ea.
    Hollow pointing one cavity and furnishing a double ended pin would be $35.00 extra.
    If you want to fashion different HP profiles, an extra blank pin would be $1.50

RG Molds
    Two cavity RG2 HP mould $96.00 Ea.
    Includes one set of hollow point pins and one set of flat nose pins.
    If you want to fashion different HP profiles for the RG2 an extra blank pin set of two (2) would be $4.

Four cavity RG4 HP mould $126.00 Ea.
    Includes one set of hollow point pins and one set of flat nose pins.
    If you want to fashion different HP profiles for the RG4 an extra blank pin set of four (4) would be $8.

Shipping and handling will be $10 per order and shipped priority mail. Insurance is available for $2.50 per mold. If you live outside the United States contact me, and I will work with you.

Lead time is 4-5 weeks after Group Buy closes. Tooling will be ordered once we get to 15 paid orders so donít delay.

Once we are ready to go, I will place the order with NOE. The molds will be shipped to me and I will distribute them. I will accept bank check, money order or PayPal + $4.50. If using PayPal contact me first.

The mold is machined to use LEE Commercial 6-Cavity handles (not included).
    A Lyman, RCBS type top punch is furnished with each mould as well as a sample of Bull Plate sprue plate lube.

Visitors from other forums are welcome to participate in this group buy.
    Email me at scifijim - at - gmail.com
    Do the normal voodoo with the address to make it work, I don't want spambots to skim for my address.

Please leave a post here and PM your order and I will add you to the list.

I will post a running list of confirmed orders with username and options and a list of zip codes that payments have been received from in the next post.
    Thanks
    Jim

Excellent news. Thanks for being the NES QB on this...nice work!

Thanks! I have to say it's in my own interest..... Really need this bullet (round nose) to reliably feed in my 458 socom.... Buying them already cast is really starting to get old.....;- )