Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Ruger or Remington or Smith and Wesson 1911s

Alright after watching hickory45 on YouTube and shooting a 1911 at smith and wesson.....I want a 1911.

Now pretty much for pricing it is remington being the cheaper of the three. But that doesn't matter i rather save a little longer and get quality. Then to jump on be first gun and be disappointed.

Now there are things I've been wondering. Commander vs GI or what ever. I've been liking the new ruger 1911 and I have to ask has anyone seen them forsale in mass? Are they available for sale from dealers?

None of the above, That being said, Guns and Gear in Agawam just got the Remy in stock if you wanna take a look at it. There's nothing wrong with the three you chose, but I don't like external extractors(S&W), with the exception of the slide, barrel, and bushing the Ruger is entirely MIM parts(again nothing wrong with that, but you can get a cheaper MIM 1911 than the Ruger) and the R1 is an overpriced GI replica, nothing wrong there either, I would just rather spend my money elsewhere and get more for it.
    Rock Island Armory makes a great GI and "tactical" 1911 for around $450 out the door, Para has some great deals on their GI and GI expert model or you could go the custom route? Remsport is local MA. and has good deals on over runs if you can assemble it yourself.
    Please don't take my suggestions as criticism, I was having the same dilemma until I finally decided to go custom. Had I been in your shoes now rather than then, I would be looking hard at the Ruger and the RIA YMMV

If Ruger comes out with a blued 1911 with polished flats in the $600 range I can almost guarantee you i'll grab one up. I hate the look of stainless :)

Banned

If I could swing it i like the ed brown guns but that's way way outta price range.

I thought about the rias but don't know about thepm. And para screw that I've heard so many horror stories I'm not gonna bother. I'll check out guns and gear I'm right by there quioften but hey have kinda wierd times and I always seem to miss them. I might just try and find a used colt somewhere.

Guns and Gear also has a in house 1911 pistolsmith. I thought a custom was out of my reach until I went to Remsport and talked to John. You be surprised at who he supplies. I was VERY skeptical of RIA until I did a lot of research on them. From what I've found their fit and finish is superb and their customer service is second to none. I was considering the first two on this page: http://www.armscor.com.ph/pistols_practical.htm

Banned

I can do basic tool work like an AR lower but I have no.clue on 1911s

I'll check out RIA a little more

If you can assemble an AR you can put together a 1911, it should only take you 15 min to a half an hour. I've never attempted it either, but after watching a couple videos I feel pretty confident.

Sent from Evo4G

Quote Originally Posted by It Works Everytime View Post
    If you can assemble an AR you can put together a 1911, it should only take you 15 min to a half an hour. I've never attempted it either, but after watching a couple videos I feel pretty confident.

Sent from Evo4G
    Err...I'm not to sure about that. Assembling a 1911 requires a lot more fitting than an AR. There's a few threads in the Build It Yourself forum. If the slide and frame aren't already pre-fitted, it can take quite some time and effort to get them to move freely. Assembling AR's are sort of like a reverse detail strip, assembling a 1911 is a project. You can buy a lot of drop in parts, but it might still involve some minor filing, and you'll have some space where a gunsmithed part would fit flush.

RIA makes decent guns, by all accounts (except for the internet haters). They are on "the list," but for whatever reason are not "approved" by the AG's office.

The S&W 1911 is a good gun, I thought about getting one. A lot of guns with external extractors have issues, S&W has been doing it for a while, and I'm pretty sure they've ironed out most of the bugs. It'll treat you well. I doubt you could go wrong with any of the 3 you listed here.

Word on the street is split on whether the Ruger 1911 will be available, some say yes, some say no.

Commander guns are nice, but so are Gov't. I wouldn't go any shorter, at least at first. You have a longer sight radius and slightly more out front weight on the Gov't, which helps with muzzle flip. The Commander carries easier. Commanders also tend to have beavertails, which can help if you have a high grip (1911's can bite). You can get beavertails on gov't models, though.
    It's not paranoia, if they really are out to get you.

Don't get in any gun fights with buffalo hunters. There ain't no such thing as cover.
    -The Box O' Truth

I like my S&W 1911PD - good solid gun.
    I think its tight as hell and locks up nicely. Good trigger too out of the box.
    Member @ HSC - Harvard Sportman's Club & HHRG - @ HHRG Haverhill Hound Rod and Gun, GOAL Member, NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of America Member, & Supporter of COMM2A.
    TIP: Use google and use site:northeastshooters.com to constrain the results to NES. It'll find anything thats not in the members areas

I would probably opt for the RIA.
    But there are tons of used 1911s out there.. If you could find a used Norinco for short money that would be a great way to go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast