Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NES Member

Default Ammo in car while traveling to NJ?

Ok, so I seem to be going to NJ a little now and most of the times I drive. I don't have a non-resident permit (nor do I think I have a chance of getting one) and hence cannot transport a gun. In the past I have gone completely anal removing every thing gun related from my car - range bag, ammo cans. I couldn't figure out if there was a law regarding ammo possession in NJ - if I am not wrong in MA you cannot possess ammo w/o a license at least for a resident and NJ in many instances seems worse than MA. If ammo is ok, does it depend on the type, e.g. is hollow point ok?

Thanks!

Ammo should be okay. Hollow points are illegal outside of the home in NJ. If you don't have any guns, might as well just remove the ammo, too...
    It's not paranoia, if they really are out to get you.

Don't get in any gun fights with buffalo hunters. There ain't no such thing as cover.
    -The Box O' Truth

I always heard hollow points were a felony in nj. 7 years per bullet. a brick of hp 22s will get you some serious time...

I thought HPs were a no-go for self defense in NJ. Never heard of them being banned or only legal in the home.

B

I don't think NJ regulates ammo possession but frankly I wouldn't have anything "gun related" in my car in NJ unless I was just transiting the state to get to free america.

-Mike

I wouldn't drive through NJ with even just a picture of a gun or ammo in my car

HPs in NJ have use restrictions; they are not illegal.
    http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_hollow.html

NES Member

Thanks guys. Guess it's back to cleaning out the car prior to every trip. On the flip side it causes me to celebrate my return with a little range time!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Oh the horror I get to spend 3 days in that Sh*t H*le this week.
    schmidt happens

Veni, vidi, vici

Tanstaafl!
    Schmidt happens.
    Why yes I'm a nationalist.

Transporting ammo through NJ is fine, wherever you are from. Hollow point is sold EVERYWHERE in the state. However you really can not posses it outside of your domicile. You can buy it and bring it home. You can buy it and take it to the range, and then transport the unfired rounds back to your domicile. Since we don't have to worry about the state letting us think for ourselves by carrying we don't worry about carrying hollow points. It is also illegal to transport loaded magazines (10 years per round). If you are pulled over and only have ammo in the trunk you are not obligated to disclose this to the police as it is not a fire arm. Just keep your receipts, and make sure the ammo is legal in the state that you are transporting the ammo to. I came back from a job site in West Virginia and had 1200 rounds of 9mm ammo and 1500 rounds of 45. The state police just checked out my receipt (I offered it to them), drivers license, and I was on my way. BTW I was stopped for speeding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast