Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default NH Daytime Coyote Hunting

I haven't been able to find this answer anywhere.

From the NH F&G website:

Deer hunting and night hunting of coyotes is allowed only by shotgun, muzzleloading rifle, handguns in calibers .357 Magnum, 10mm Automatic, .41 Remington, .44 Magnum, .45 Long Colt, .480 Ruger or .50 Magnum, or bow and arrow or crossbow in the following towns:

Then it names many towns. It does not say anything about daytime Coyote Hunting. If I am hiking with my concealed handgun (I have the proper license), and my hunting license, can I take a coyote with a handgun caliber, such as 9mm, .40, .45ACP, etc?

NH has no closed season for coyotes statewide. The section you're referring to lists restrictions on firearms use for towns with special rules (the populated ones). You can hunt coyotes at any time during the day in any town. If you want to hunt them at night, you can only do so with written landowner permission and only between January 1 and March 31. If you're in one of the towns with special restrictions, you can hunt them in the daytime all year, or at night in the specified season, but only with the types of firearms specified.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunt...small_game.htm

Also see pages 23 and 33 of the Hunting Digest. You can view an online version of the Digest at the right sidebar at the following link:

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/hunting.htm

My question is regarding the handgun calibers not time of day.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Your original post, based on the title and the highlighted terms, seemed to make a point of emphasizing when you could hunt them. In any event, I thought I answered your question as to your choice of calibers. Unless you're in the towns with restrictions on type of firearm or caliber with which you can hunt, have at it with anything you've got.
    Last edited by grady; 11-30-2010 at 09:06 PM.

I really don't think an NH officer is going to care that you killed a coyote if you were defending yourself from it, let alone what caliber bullet was used to kill it.

I wrote to the F&G, but the reason I am concerned is I live in one of the special towns, and want to be sure if I shoot a coyote during the day with a carry pistol I am in the clear. Sorry for confusing my intent.

Do you have an NH hunting license?
    Rocking Retrievers. Dogs doing what they were bred to do.

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Albert Einstein

Here's the F&G Administrative Rule, which is more informative than the Digest:

Fis 303.06 Coyote.

(a) Coyote may be taken year round 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset by any legal method.

(b) Coyote may be taken by hunting at night in accordance with RSA 208:1-e and as follows:

(1) The open season shall be from January 1 through March 31;

(2) Artificial lights, except lights from a motor vehicle or OHRV or snowmobile, may be used to illuminate coyotes;

(3) Electronic calling devices may be used;

(4) No person shall bait coyote on ice covered public waters; and

(5) In towns restricted to weapon types pursuant to RSA 208:3, 208:3-b, and 208:3-c, only .22 caliber rimfire, shotguns, muzzleloading rifles or bow and arrow shall be permitted for the taking of coyote at night.

(c) Any person hunting coyote at night shall obtain a written landowner permit described in Fis 1102.11 for the property on which he or she takes or attempts to take coyote or when hunting coyote over bait, a permit described in Fis 1102.04 or Fis 307.04.

So, it appears that it breaks down this way: Daytime, you can take them by "any legal method." (Presumably, you would need to have a hunting license on you or be defending yourself). At night, if you are in a town where the special deer rules apply, you can only use the methods in subsection (b) above, but not the firearm calibers that are permitted for deer in those same towns. Note that all the applicable restrictions are listed in subsection (b), which applies only to night hunting. There are no qualifiers or restrictions under subsection (a) limiting the "any legal method" language.

Does this clear it up?

Sure does. THank you.

Anytime. Just one caution though - as you can see, the rule/digest/statutes rely on a lot of cross-referencing, which tends to muddy the waters. I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to tell you, because they once read the night restrictions and are applying them broadly, that shooting a coyote in the daytime with a 9mm was illegal. Not unlike the guy who once told me it was illegal to hunt deer with buckshot anywhere in the state, when it's actually allowed everywhere but 6 towns. Would hope that your friendly neighborhood F&G LEO would know better, but you never know...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast