Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Way to Mount aScope on a Flattop AR-15?

How do you mount a scope with a large front lens (objective lens?) on a flattop AR-15? The scope I want to use has rings that will attach to the top rail but they are too low to allow the front lens to avoid contacting the forearm gaurds/rail. Is there a "spacer" or "riser" that one uses to raise the scope enough to mount properly?

Thanks.
    Frosty

"No matter where you go, there you are."
    Dr. Buckaroo Banzai

"MAJOR HOOTERS!
    Major Bob Hooters, U S Air Force at your service."
    Brian Hackett

There are risers, but I would simply get higher rings. Everything you add adds the potential for inaccuracy. I would say keep it simple, get rings.

I was wondering if they made rings for this purpose. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Frosty

Dr. Buckaroo Banzai

"MAJOR HOOTERS!
    Brian Hackett

Quote Originally Posted by rattletrap1970 View Post
    There are risers, but I would simply get higher rings. Everything you add adds the potential for inaccuracy. I would say keep it simple, get rings.
    This
    idealistic retard - Join or Die. Call GOAL today. We must all hang together or we shall surely hang separately.

They make all kinds of different rings of varying heights. If you go to www.midwayusa.com or www.brownells.com and check out the scope rings you'll see many different heights and manufacturers. I used to have a Pre-Ban Colt AR-15 Flat Top and I had high rings and no problems.

To be sure that you get the correct rings, the manufacturer pages usually have tables of dimensions. Rings are usually measured from the base to the bottom of the actual ring portion. This number added to 1/2 the tube diameter MUST exceed 1/2 your objective diameter. Alot of times, manufacturers will list applications the rings are appropriate for (ie "Appropriate for up to 42mm objective on flat-top ARs")

As an example, there's a table on this page
    http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings1.html#2

NES Member

Always liked this Burris mount. I dont know who makes the mount in the second picture( I'm sure someone here will know), but looks like the Rock River. I have a Rock River Arms one-piece mount, works great . My scope has 50MM objective.

http://swfa.com/Burris-AR-PEPR-1-Sco...nt-P12624.aspx

http://www.maxicon.com/guns/optics/o...ece_mounts.htm

Rings can work, but why skimp?

LaRue Tactical LT-135. Gives you almost another half inch of height over the standard mount (which I have). For my money it's the best mount available for an AR-type rifle.
    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and thus any interpretation or statements about the law that I might make should be taken with a grain of salt and mixed with your own legal research as well as advice from actual legal counsel. I cannot be held responsible if you find yourself somebody's "friend" in federal, state, or local prison should you act on my opinions on the law. My interpretations of the law will generally be on the conservative side.

Well, here is what I ended up with. The scope is an older model, rubber armored Tasco 3-9x40. It came with some special rings (which I did not realize how special) and I needed to use these to mount the scope. These rings were matched to the scope and I was able to mate them to an inexpensive riser and the whole thing works. All I have to do now is figure out how the get the scope aligned properly (the cross-hairs seem to cant very slightly to one side or the other no matter how much I try to adjust them). I am using this scope because it's what I have. If I can save up enough money I'll buy a better brand/model.

Frosty

Dr. Buckaroo Banzai

"MAJOR HOOTERS!
    Brian Hackett

I went with the Warne ultra high rings that SWFA sells for a 16x42 SS:

http://swfa.com/Warne-AR15-Flat-Top-...gs-P10113.aspx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast