Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Homemade survival kits for Christmas

I know this has been somewhat discussed before, but I'm looking for current and specific recommendations.

I'm putting together survival kits for my family and friends for Christmas this year, and wanted to make them myself. I'm trying to avoid the "4 feet of fishing line and a tin foil space blanket" thing and make something that is not only useful, but could be used and used again.

I'm putting the kits in small canvas bags, something like the G.I. tool bag or similar. I haven't found the exact bag yet, so recommendations on that are good as well, but that is the size I am shooting for. Ideally, these could go in the truck behind the seat, or tie to a backpack for camping.

So far, I have:
    A hunting knife with firestarter in the sheath which actually works very well because I started a duffel bag on fire while testing it out. 'nuff said.
    small bottle of water purification pills
    waterproof matches
    The never useful space blanket
    spool of fishing line, hooks, sinkers.
    packets of wet naps
    a couple cans of meat, like spam, only cheaper. Smells like bacon, so can't be that bad.

What can I add to that, keeping it small, but to make it very useful in both survival and camping situations.

Thanks.

NES Member

You can never go wrong with 550 cord and duct tape. Real-world, I once tied a coworker's broken car door shut with a dog leash I had in my trunk. 550 cord would've been a lot easier.

How about a compass, collapsible metal cup, spork?

I once tried to give my young brother in law a compass, he said "why, I have an app for one on my phone". Thanks for the ideas, folks. I love the idea of the collapsible cup but all I can find are plastic ones. I have a great tin one that's held up well over the years.

"""he said "why, I have an app for one on my phone"."""" What is he going to do when the battery dies? Some type of fold up saw would be good to have or a small first aid kit.

how about one of those handheld chain saws:

A good thick rain poncho.
    They fold up small and are actually pretty useful.
    I swear every time I go camping in rains.

How about a small first aid kit. You could even make them your self. One thing I always take with me is a needle and thread great for quick fixes.

one of those headband flashlights/head lamps , a Multi-Tool & a fifth of Vodka
    "It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress.Ē~ Mark Twain

I don't want to derail but I when I saw the compass app. on my Droid I downloaded it to see how well it worked. Well I tried several different ones and none worked very well. They were consistently several degrees off at best.

On the subject I have a large stainless cup I use because you can boil a decent amount of water in it. I have tried with a collapsable one and I don't like them. They are not as big and its just something that can fail. When you are talking about a decent size bag anyway it really isn't going to take up that much more space. You can even pack some stuff into it.

This is a great idea, When you figure it all out you should let us know what you end up putting in it. Also what you end up using as a bag.
    Last edited by Brian5582; 10-27-2010 at 10:45 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast