Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you have a secret compartment in your car?

I have a metal pistol safe in my trunk that is chained to the frame
    I figure it might at least slow somebody down

Ill. secret compartment law struck down

SPRINGFIELD, Ill., Sept. 27 (UPI) -- The Appellate Court of Illinois has declared unconstitutional a law that made operating a vehicle with a secret compartment a felony.

The court made the ruling Tuesday in favor of repeat felon Derrick Carpenter who was convicted in 2004 after police found a BB gun in the airbag compartment of the van he was operating, the Chicago Sun-Times reported Wednesday.

There is no law against carrying a BB gun but Carpenter was charged under the state's secret compartment statue and sentenced to two years imprisonment.

Justice Warren Wolfson wrote in the 3-0 court ruling that the law was intended to deter smuggling of illegal drugs and weapons, but "it goes far beyond criminal purpose" and violates the idea that "whether the item is cash, jewelry, a risqué magazine, a confidential file or a BB gun, the owner or driver has the right to keep it from prying eyes," the Sun-Times said

Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan, a proponent and sponsor of the law, told the newspaper the measure is "an important law for fighting drug crimes and protecting the lives of police officers." She said she plans to discuss the matter with prosecutors.

daceman63

the airbag compartment is about as secret as the trunk. Where did that come from?

Quote Originally Posted by News Shooter View Post

There is no law against carrying a BB gun but Carpenter was charged under the state's secret compartment statue and sentenced to two years imprisonment.
    Now that is a stupid law.
    Thank goodness that it was struck down.
    'PUGNA PRO PATRIA'

I'm surprised that we don't have a similar stupid law in MA . . . yet!

Quote Originally Posted by daceman63 View Post
    the airbag compartment is about as secret as the trunk. Where did that come from?
    Its called hiding in plain sight. Not too many people would think about looking in an airbag compartment......people are afraid of them.

Being in the auto business you see some strange things. Removable air flow vents, phony airbags, etc. Strangest one I ever heard about came from a story my Father told me. He was at the shop one weekend day catching up on some paperwork when a guy walked in and said the police told him his car had been towed to our shop and was inside for storage. He asked if he could just get something out of it and leave the car. My Father said ok and showed the guy where the car was. He says the guy popped the hood, went into the engine compartment, took the air cleaner cover off, reached in and pulled out a huge roll of money in large bills, said thank you and left the car there.

Do you have a secret compartment in your car?
    I'd tell you but then I'd have to make you disappear. Probably into the secret compartment.
    Frosty

"No matter where you go, there you are."
    Dr. Buckaroo Banzai

"MAJOR HOOTERS!
    Major Bob Hooters, U S Air Force at your service."
    Brian Hackett

OH NO...

I was just listening to a car commercial today on the radio. And one of the "features" of the car was that it, "Had tons of secret compartments."

Guess that car isn't allowed to be sold in Illinois.

I don't remember what the car was though.
    NES Swag that Supports Comm2A <---- Click Me!

"America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the Mall" --Unknown

B.P.O.E. Attleboro Lodge # 1014

Proud Member #2 and 5/16ths of JC2ASC.

Do you have a secret compartment in your car?
    Yep, it's between the ejector seats and the radar:

In the Jeep, yes, in the BMW, no.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast