Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Bump Firing Device. Legal?

Anybody here ever bump fire? For those of you that are not familiar with this technique, bump firing allows you to use a gun's recoil to simulate full-auto fire with a semi auto. Here's a brief description (for a right-handed shooter):

Bump firing is done from the hip. It's easier with a sling, but can be done without one too. Put your right thumb through the trigger guard and hook it onto your belt loop. Place your left hand on the forestock. Try to keep your right thumb "locked" to your side. Fire the gun by pulling forward with your left hand. Try to apply constant forward pressure with your left arm. When the gun fires, the recoil resets the trigger, but since you're applying constant forward pressure with your left arm, the gun fires again immediately, and again, and again, etc. This works with almost any medium-recoil semi auto. I've done it with an AR, AK, M1 Carbine, and Mini 14. I've heard of people doing it with an M1 Garand and even a 10/22. I tried it with my Saiga 12 gauge but tore my belt loop off. It's a waste of ammo, but it's also a lot of fun.

Here's the problem with bump firing: You can't hit anything.

Anyway, to get to my point...

There's a company in Oregon that makes a device called the Akins Accellerator. Here's their website (watch the video ).
    http://www.firefaster.com

Their product is a replacement stock for the 10/22 that instead of hard mounting, the barreled action is connected to the stock via spring-loaded guide rods. There's also "finger stops" built into the stock on either side of the trigger guard, these keep your finger off the trigger long enough so that it resets. This product basically simulates bump firing, but from the shoulder so you can aim.

I emailed the company to ask if it was legal in Mass. Here's their reply:
    As far as we are aware the Accelerator(TM) is legal in Massachusetts.

It is our understanding that Mass. has an assault weapon ban law. We
    don't know the details of it, or how exactly it applies to your situation.
    You may be able have a fixed stock variant there. The folding version
    would be questionable or illegal. The assault weapon ban also speaks
    to certain high cap magazines. Akins Group Inc. can't speak to the
    exact laws in Massachusetts. Because Akins Group Inc. can't research
    the laws and amendments to those laws in all 50 states it is your
    responsibility to ensure that you are in compliance with the laws of
    your state.

Minnesota and California clearly prohibit the possession of simulated
    full auto devices.

Thanks for your interest in the Akins Accelerator(TM),

Dorothy Conway
    Akins Group Inc.
    P.O. Box 430
    Cornelius OR 97113
    503-359-1356
    www.firefaster.com
    Could this really be legal here? I'd've bought one already but they're $1000 (and I don't have a 10/22 right now). If so, this is the coolest thing since sex.
    I'm doing two Precision Rifle Reloading classes in September. More Info Here...

Never rat on your friends, and always keep your mouth shut.

Shooting at the big range in heaven Cross-X's Avatar

So long as one pull of the trigger results in one shot fired, this surprisingly expensive gunstock mechanism is legal in MA under both state and federal law.

Whether it is worth the money they are asking may be another question entirely. (grin)
    "We arm folks and supply cases of ammo to the landed gentry!"

Discrete, private and confidential.

Custom gun sales, and ammunition sold by the case. Price is distributor cost, plus 20%.

Shop phone is also our mobile phone: (508) 395-6500

Darius Arbabi

Acclaimed massgunlaw.com web site:

http://web.mac.com/dariusarbabi/Mass...unlaw.com.html

daceman63

legal or not it sounds fun but no rapid fire at my range.

Quote Originally Posted by Cross-X
    So long as one pull of the trigger results in one shot fired, this surprisingly expensive gunstock mechanism is legal in MA under both state and federal law.
    Even if it is the gun itself that is pulling the trigger and not the operator?

If you got that you would be pan handling outside of city hospital with the rest of the bums to feed your habit.

Shooting at the big range in heaven Cross-X's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EddieCoyle View Post
    Even if it is the gun itself that is pulling the trigger and not the operator?
    Yes, but I disagree with your analysis. Nevertheless, my answer is still yes.
    "We arm folks and supply cases of ammo to the landed gentry!"

Discrete, private and confidential.

Custom gun sales, and ammunition sold by the case. Price is distributor cost, plus 20%.

Shop phone is also our mobile phone: (508) 395-6500

Darius Arbabi

Acclaimed massgunlaw.com web site:

http://web.mac.com/dariusarbabi/Mass...unlaw.com.html

Quote Originally Posted by Cross-X View Post
    Nevertheless, my answer is still yes.
    Damn. Let's see.... that's about $300 for the 10/22, $1000 for the stock, add in Cross-X's retainer.... Wow, I'd better start saving up.

MA definition...

“Machine gun”, a weapon of any description, by whatever name known, loaded or unloaded, from which a number of shots or bullets may be rapidly or automatically discharged by one continuous activation of the trigger, including a submachine gun.
    http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-121.htm

Now you need to find someone willing to ship pre-ban +10 mags to MA and get ready to rock and roll.

I would like to try bump firing some day. Don't have a safe place to do it so I haven't tried. Sounds like an expensive and inaccurate (but fun!) way to burn ammo :-)
    Last edited by adweisbe; 09-27-2006 at 12:32 PM.

Figure though if you were to get a gun to simulate full auto with bump firing, what beter and cheaper than a 22? I burn through 30 rounds of 7.62x39 in about a second and a half when I bump fire my AK. If I paid the $5 a box price some shops charge, that'd be $7.50 gone in under 2 seconds.
    The money you'd save buying the $10 Wal Mart bulk ammo boxes of 22 lr could make the kit pay for itself in the long run.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast