Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default States that accept MA LTC

I know that there are a select group of states that except the MA LTC permit for carry in their states. Anyone know if restrictions still apply, like those of us in Boston who only receive restricted Class A LTCs can we carry in states that except the MA LTC?
    I know this may be an obvious question but just curious....

Not obvious at all, at least not to me.

I'd say that a restricted (to no carry) license from MA may be interpreted differently in other states (that would accept a MA LTC), depending on the officer that stopped you. I'd assess it as "risky business" and get an unrestricted license from some third-party state that would allow you to unquestionably carry wherever you want to go.
    Mass. Gun Laws By and For Non-Lawyers (How To Stay Legal and Out of Trouble) - Seminar
    http://home.comcast.net/~safety-instructor

NRA Certified Instructor and Range Officer

We have met the enemy and he is US!

NES Member

I have a letter from the Texas DPS enclosing a copy of a proclamation from the Governor that Massachusetts LTCs will be recognized. I'm not aware of any other state that unilaterally recognizes a Massachusetts LTC.

Go to NRA.ILA they have a state by state list of what the reciprocity laws are
    Actually , i just took a basic handgun class last weekend and they covered this.
    No one recognizes Mass because Mass recognizes no one.
    e technicality is that many states (12 or so) recognize any states permit (which by default include mass)

Texas is where I plan on going so that's good....only problem is that mass doesn't even recognize my class A Ltc...restricted due to being issued by Boston. I assume it would be too risky to carry on it in TX. I'm just being impatient sincegetting my utah ccw but don't think it will arrive in time before travels

Not obvious at all, at least not to me.
    Me neither :)

In the old days, one would have a MA LTC which noted the "reason" for which it was issued. Thanks to some effective lobbying, the licenses now bear the nomenclature "Restriction" and an effective argument can be made that someone with such a license is not licensed to "carry" in all but the rather atypical MA definition of that term.

PA generally issues within a day or two (Centre County, PA), and is recognized by TX.
    Last edited by Rob Boudrie; 07-28-2010 at 07:03 PM.
    Check out the USPSA Northeast Section at www.uspsa-ne.org, and the USPSA nationals site at www.uspsa.org

Texas will honor your MA LTC but with RESTRICTIONS. If your MA LTC restricts you to target and whatever, then Texas will frown on you carrying concealed. Will they throw you in jail? Probably not but it's your a$$, so do what you think is best. Being in possession of a handgun with a MA permit is a big <yawn> to the officer.

PLEASE NOTE: YOU ARE REQUIRED TO NOTIFY ANY LEO THAT YOU ARE ARMED AND PRESENT YOUR PERMIT AT THE INITIAL STOP! THIS DIFFERS FROM MA LAW. HAND YOUR DL AND LTC TO HIM WHEN HE ASKS AND INFORM HIM THAT YOU HAVE A FIREARM IN YOUR POSSESSION and all will be well. Enjoy Texas!
    Support Comm2A

ageres proprias tuas (in case you are to damn lazy to look it up, it's Latin for MYOFB)

A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble. - Mohandas Gandhi

Math always wins in the end. - calsdad

Quote Originally Posted by RKG View Post
    I have a letter from the Texas DPS enclosing a copy of a proclamation from the Governor that Massachusetts LTCs will be recognized. I'm not aware of any other state that unilaterally recognizes a Massachusetts LTC.
    Texas is the only one. They do that because the MA laws that qualify a citizen to carry a handgun are more stringent than Texas laws. In short if you can jump through all the hoops that MA requires and still get a permit to carry then you would qualify under TX laws to possess a handgun. Very big of them to make the gesture.
    Support Comm2A

ageres proprias tuas (in case you are to damn lazy to look it up, it's Latin for MYOFB)

A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble. - Mohandas Gandhi

Math always wins in the end. - calsdad

Jose

Quote Originally Posted by RKG View Post
    Missouri, Michigan, and Indiana accept ALL LTCs from any state regardless of reciprocity.

Jose

Quote Originally Posted by ArmySGTPM View Post
    Texas is where I plan on going so that's good....only problem is that mass doesn't even recognize my class A Ltc...restricted due to being issued by Boston. I assume it would be too risky to carry on it in TX. I'm just being impatient sincegetting my utah ccw but don't think it will arrive in time before travels
    Get a Texas non-resident license and be done with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast