Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mass Inspection Parking Brake Failure Question

Yesterday I brought my 01 Nissan Xterra (80K mileage)in for state inspection and it failed due to the parking brake. It failed because "the parking brake would only hold the vehicle in place up to 1,000 to 1,100 RPM and it must hold the vehicle in place for up to 1,200 to 1,300 RPM." I was like WTF I have been bringing in vehicles for inspection for 30 years and I have never heard of this nonsense. I know in this state logic doesn't apply. For an off road vehicle that is geared low like the Xterra this "requirement" can be tough to meet. Regardless The Xterra is now sporting a big red R.

Is this a real requirement or is this a shop that is blowing smoke and looking to generate some income or should I just bring the truck elsewhere?

I know that I can crank down the adjusters and make it pass but it seems like extra work for nothing as the car stops fine and doesn't nose dive or anything like that.

Bob

No, its real, the parking brake must hold the car and has been in the inspection criteria for as long as I've had a driver's license....about 38 years.

Its also a way to stop or slow the car if your normal braking system fails....but most drivers probably wouldn't think fast enough to use it under such conditions, they'd just crash.
    Last edited by Finalygotabeltfed; 07-28-2010 at 11:35 AM.

The guy is busting your nuts over 100 rpm. Sounds like he's trying to make work for himself.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleSeeds View Post
    The guy is busting your nuts over 100 rpm. Sounds like he's trying to make work for himself.
    This
    Support Comm2A

ageres proprias tuas (in case you are to damn lazy to look it up, it's Latin for MYOFB)

A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble. - Mohandas Gandhi

Math always wins in the end. - calsdad

in 10 years of doing inspections I only ever failed one car for parking brake and it couldn't hold the car in gear at idle and it was a stick so it is important, I had my grand cherokee fail a couple of years ago, the actuators were rusted solid from never being used so I spent the afternoon freeing them up, I would take it elsewhere to do the work or do it yourself, brake work is not that hard

Thanks for the input guys. It is good to know that it is a real requirement. I will pop the drums to take a peek and adjust the shoes and then the parking break if needed. I can't believe he is busting my stones over 100 RPM but that is what I get for going top a local dealer just cause it was convenient and there was no line. Now I know why there was no line.

Thanks again.

Bob

/\/\ Oh, if it was a stealership then that explains everything. Those idiots are constantly trying to make work for themselves.

If you take it elsewhere to be inspected you'll have to pay again for the inspection...

Many moons ago (back when the vehicle owner remained in the car during the inspection process), I had a Ford van with a broken parking brake cable.

It would have been a pain to fix, so I left it as it was.

To get by inspection, I hooked a toggle switch into the rear brake light wiring.

When the inspector had me engage the brake and told me to put it in gear and slowly release the clutch so the engine would stall, I flipped the toggle switch to kill the power to the brake light (if the brake light came on, he would know I was engaging the foot brake and not the parking brake).

I would then hold the van with the foot brake with one foot, slowly let the clutch out with my other foot, and it gave the impression that my parking brake was holding.

After he gave me the thumbs-up that the brake was fine, I flipped the switch back to restore power to the rear brake lights.

I ran like this for something like 5-6 years and it worked every time.

The guy at my garage just asks me if everything is working, plugs in the ALDL connector and PASS! It's a much simpler solution for me. Oh yeah, he takes my $29 for his trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by LoginName View Post
    Many moons ago (back when the vehicle owner remained in the car during the inspection process), I had a Ford van with a broken parking brake cable.

It would have been a pain to fix, so I left it as it was.

To get by inspection, I hooked a toggle switch into the rear brake light wiring.

When the inspector had me engage the brake and told me to put it in gear and slowly release the clutch so the engine would stall, I flipped the toggle switch to kill the power to the brake light (if the brake light came on, he would know I was engaging the foot brake and not the parking brake).

I would then hold the van with the foot brake with one foot, slowly let the clutch out with my other foot, and it gave the impression that my parking brake was holding.

After he gave me the thumbs-up that the brake was fine, I flipped the switch back to restore power to the rear brake lights.

I ran like this for something like 5-6 years and it worked every time.
    That is awesome. +1 Macgyver.
    You can't buy happiness. You can buy ammo though, and that's pretty much the same thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast