Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Magazine-Fed Shotguns

Why are there no magazine fed shotguns other than the Saiga 12? Wouldn't, for example, a magazine-fed Super 90 be the greatest shotgun on the planet?

Is there something inherent to shotgun shells that makes them feed poorly, or has modern technology just been slow to catch up to scatter guns?

Only other ones I can think of are the AA-12 and street sweeper type of shotguns. I've seen a few semi auto's converted to take magazine or drum, but they didn't come that way.

Beat me to it -

This was one the military channel the other night (the AA-12) on Future weapons:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnriz...eature=related
    Member NRA, Goal, Westford Sportsmen's Club
    Cruce dum spiro fido, Deo duce ferro comitante

One of my first shotguns was a Mossberg Mag fed 385K 20GA, these were like 1970's models.

The 595AP5 near the bottom of this page is pretty cool. http://home.epix.net/~damguy/mossber...gun_models.htm

But the AA-12 is select-fire. And similar rotary shotguns tend to be terrible or AWBed or both. There doesn't seem to be any selection of consumer magazine-fed shotguns at all...

Maybe it's because the tube fed designs have been working well for so long? I would also guess there are issues with the magazine. The size of the rounds (especially 12 gage) make it less desirable a design, as you'd have a large, bulky magazine sticking out the bottom of the gun instead of the relatively slim (factory) tube style mag (of 5 to 8 round capacity) that follows the contour of the barrel. Large bulky mag = more unwieldy.

* Please note, my shotgun experience is limited to tube fed Mossys, so take my input for what it's worth.
    Last edited by meth0d; 07-14-2010 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by meth0d View Post
    The size of the rounds (especially 12 gage) make it less desirable a design, as you'd have a large, bulky magazine sticking out the bottom of the gun
    Ooh, I think you may have nailed it. That makes a lot of sense.

The Marlin goose and super goose gun Have a mag

Quote Originally Posted by meth0d View Post
    Maybe it's because the tube fed designs have been working well for so long? I would also guess there are issues with the magazine. The size of the rounds (especially 12 gage) make it less desirable a design, as you'd have a large, bulky magazine sticking out the bottom of the gun instead of the relatively slim tube style mag that follows the contour of the barrel. Large bulky mag = more unwieldy.

* Please note, my shotgun experience is limited to tube fed Mossys, so take my input for what it's worth.
    Not really, the saiga and the SPAS 15 (i think only one person runs the SPAS) both run great and are going to dominate the 3gun world. The weight is balanced in the center of the gun instead of out at the barrel.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/signaturepics/sigpic296_3.gif

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast