Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Connecticut Knife Laws

So I'v been searching and trying to find out about what is legal to own, purchase, and sell.

As far as I can find the Law only prohibits carry as defined in
    Sec. 53-206. Carrying of dangerous weapons prohibited.
    And not the actual ownership of knives like Switch Blades.

And interestingly enough up until June 24, 1998 the same section alludes to the fact that sale and ownership is/was OK
    Any person who sells to another a slung shot, air rifle, BB. gun,
    blackjack, sand bag, metal or brass knuckles, or any dirk knife, or any switch
    knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the
    blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half
    inches in length, or stiletto, or any martial arts weapon or electronic defense
    weapon, as defined in section 53a-3, shall, within twenty-four hours after the
    delivery of such weapon or implement to the person to whom sold, give written
    notice of such sale or delivery, specifying the article sold and the name and
    address of the person to whom sold or delivered, to the chief of police of the
    city, the warden of the borough or the first selectman of the town, within
    which such weapon or implement is sold or delivered, as the case may be. Any
    person who violates any provision of this subsection shall be fined not more
    than one hundred dollars.

This is probably bad legal advice, but I just worry that I don't CARRY anything illegal. The reason is that if I had to use it in a self defense situation, I am going to look like an @hole right off the bat for carrying an "illegal weapon".
    Last edited by In God We Trust; 10-20-2011 at 06:28 PM.

You ought to push to copy NH's knife laws.

Quote Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
    This is probably bad legal advice, but I just worry that I don't CARRY anything illegal. The reason is that if I had to use it in a self defense situation, I am going to look like an @hole right off the bat for carrying an "illegal weapon". As far as ownership? I will keep whatever the F I want in my house and F anyone that doesn't like it.
    I feel the same way.

NES Member

You can have a knife of any length in the home. I have a folding caterers knife that has an 8" blade. Its perfectly legal to have, but illegal to carry.

Based on the statute above, the following is true.
    1) you can't carry a folder longer than 4"
    2) you can't carry or posses in any way a switchblade longer than 1 1/2 inches.

That should cover just about anything anyone would want to carry.
    I was surprised to see that there are no exemptions for relics or antiques.
    I have a switchblade that my grandfather's friend took off a dead German soldier in WWII.
    It doesn't even open because the spring is worn out, but its still pretty neat.
    Last edited by dcmdon; 10-21-2011 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dcmdon View Post
    You can have a knife of any length in the home. I have a folding caterers knife that has an 8" blade. Its perfectly legal to have, but illegal to own.
    Wait, What? Do you mean Carry?

So owning butterfly knives, switch blades, and stiletto knifes are not Illegal to own? Its just carrying them?

The only laws that i could find are regarding carrying i can't find anything on the ownership or transfer of said knives.
    Last edited by Dmac82; 06-22-2010 at 12:37 PM.

NES Member

My apologies. I should have said "You can have a fixed blade knife of any length in the home."

You could buy a switchblade and drive / carry it home or to your [owned] business....where it must remain.(C.G.S. 29-38 and 53-206)

Is it legal to have a fixed blade knife in the trunk of your car in CT? Does that constitute "carry"?
    Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... the unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. - Tench Coxe

NES Member

Quote Originally Posted by Horrible View Post
    Is it legal to have a fixed blade knife in the trunk of your car in CT? Does that constitute "carry"?
    I don't know, but whats the point?

The whole idea of a switchblade is that it can be deployed faster than a standard folder. If it takes you 20 seconds to get it out of the trunk, whats the extra half second to open a standard folder.
    Actually, why even have a folder in the trunk.

I got some cheap chinese fixed blade "survival" knives on ebay a couple of years ago. I keep one in the trunk of each car. They've come in very handy. But again, their purpose is as a tool, not as a defensive weapon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast