Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Exhaust system replacement estimate

My wife's 2001 Mitsubishi Mirage has been running loud so I had her go to Monro Muffler and have them check out the exhaust system. She came home with an estimate for $760 in parts and labor. I honestly have no idea how much that stuff goes for these days so I am hoping that someone here can tell me whether Monro is trying to pull a fast one on my wife.

Here is the price breakdown:

muffler - $267
    exhaust pipe - $276
    gaskets - $30
    labor - $98
    misc hardware - $6
    shop supply fee - $39

This seems like a lot of money for a muffler and some pipe.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" -- Cesare Beccaria

Quote Originally Posted by xtry51 View Post
    Nothing spreads fear like finding out you just got shot in the dick.

These days the price seems normal .

Flatland suburban nightmare of S.E. Virginia

DIY on my civic a few years ago ran me about $300. It is easy to do if you have access to a lift. Used auto shop at Hanscom.

Quote Originally Posted by 01bmf View Post
    It is easy to do if you have access to a lift.
    BigRed,

I know you're close to me. . . if you can weld, (and have a welder) feel free to use my lift. depending on the problem, it may be as simple/cheap as a $5 piece of pipe that needs replacement

The mirage is pretty tall, so we'll only be able to get it off the ground about 4 feet, but working off a chair is better than working off your back

Quote Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
    BigRed,

I know you're close to me. . . if you can weld, (and have a welder) feel free to use my lift. depending on the problem, it may be as simple/cheap as a $5 piece of pipe that needs replacement
    Thanks for the offer but I do not know how to weld and I do not have a welder.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" -- Cesare Beccaria

Quote Originally Posted by xtry51 View Post
    Nothing spreads fear like finding out you just got shot in the dick.

If you want to DIY it should be only a couple of bolts (may be rusted so you'll have the break them off) and about <400 for a complete cat-back exhaust.

I would at least call a couple places to get some other estimates. The dealer is always a good point of reference (usually high) but it helps put your estimate into perspective.

Autozone lookup 1.8L since you didn't mention has

exhaust pipe $40
    Muffler $85
    gaskets and clamp approx $20

This is cat back replacement....since they didn't quote cat I assume that cat forward is fine.

If you're going to keep the car for a while, don't get the cheap parts. The parts will rust out in a year or two.

Flyer007 has it right. A cat-back exhaust should not cost that much. Sounds like Monro is pulling a fast one on a person in need.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast