PDA

View Full Version : PMC Firefight Footage in Iraq (Graphic)

ManBearPig
04-08-2010, 02:14 AM
Recorded by military contractors (mercs) from private military company (PMC) Edinburgh Risk & Security Management. 3 contractors lost their lives in this engagement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-fjrRB7WPQ

Not sure if anyone has seen this already since it's not very recent, but thought I'd share it. Mods if this violates any rules please PM me and delete this.

ManBearPig
04-11-2010, 11:52 PM
In case no one knew, the guy who went prone after he ran away from the first car (the car on the right) and into the median is James Yeager (CEO of www.tacticalresponse.com and www.tacticalresponsegear.com).

BearArms
07-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Crazy vid.

oldsoldier29
07-06-2010, 10:02 PM
SAw this when it first posted on another forum a while ago. Graphic....

gixxer_kid
07-06-2010, 10:41 PM
very big mistakes were made during that ambush. It shows how quickly everything can go to hell and how simply you can forget the most simple of things.

mikem317
07-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Did one of the agents get out on the same side as where the fire was coming from? It wasn't clear.

gixxer_kid
07-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Did one of the agents get out on the same side as where the fire was coming from? It wasn't clear.

A few of them did.

BearArms
07-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Couple things I don't understand. Why were they parked and why didn't they drive off when engaged?

DevX
07-07-2010, 01:47 PM
lol at the term MERC

cevtv
07-07-2010, 08:40 PM
In case no one knew, the guy who went prone after he ran away from the first car (the car on the right) and into the median is James Yeager (CEO of www.tacticalresponse.com and www.tacticalresponsegear.com).

The same guy who had a photographer downrange, between two targets, during live fire training.

ManBearPig
08-24-2010, 08:27 PM
From the AARs that the company released, as well as that of Yeager's, here's what I gathered:

The 3 sedans were to provide convoy security. They were in the lead and the convoy stopped under a bridge. Sensing that it's not a secure tactical position, the 3 cars drove ahead of the overpass. The team leader was in the second car (the car on the left). Just as when they were about to move forward, they came under fire. Enemy fire penetrated the cars and killed the driver of the rear car instantly. This is the POV of the video, the driver was killed and his hand hit the windshield wipers. The SOP is to drive on, drive through an ambush. However, Yeager failed to lift the e-brake (the one on the right, the lead car) and thought that his car was disabled. This is understandable under stress, but this mistake endangered the entire team because they now were forced to engage. Yeager disembarked his vehicle and laid prone in the median to the left while the rest of his team tried to cover and rescue their wounded teammates. Yeager's field of fire was to the front, but that's where the coalition troops were. The shots were coming from the right side after the initial volley. 2 members died from their wounds. The number of attackers, where they were, how they left, all of that were never confirmed. It was a complete success of a hit and run on the attackers' behalf.

You can find the AARs online. Reading Yeager's AAR, it appears that he blamed his team for what happened. He said that he was trained to "get off the x" because cars are bullet magnets, but clearly his team did not think so or train the way he did, his teammates tried to save their wounded and fight instead of laying prone in the median. I don't know about the backgrounds of his team, but Yeager's experience stems from being a LEO. No military experience. IMO he wasn't the right man for the job. Due to the nature of each individual's reputation in the contracting world, I wouldn't be surprised if this was his last assignment.

Yeager is a smart businessman, he saw the market to start a tactical camp on his property in TN to entertain guys who want to have a weekend of fun. He shows photos of his time in Iraq and makes a killing selling books and videos on how to get into the "high risk civilian contracting" business. Unfortunately not all of his students know the darker facts about him and take his teaching at face value. At the same time, his business is booming for folks who are lined up for a tactical experience.

TheWookie
08-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Yeager is an IDIOT. That was the clown taking pics downrange (or involved in that mess),, I'd like to kick him in the nuts.

TheRoland
08-24-2010, 10:43 PM
I'm just some moron on the internet, but it looks like they're not really operating as a team. Were they just thrown together? A shame that it cost lives.

And what the heck is that guy doing with a 9-inch barreled 9mm MP5? I would have thought that would be non-optimal for the distances they'd be likely to encounter.

I'll search around, but does anyone have links to where this has been discussed? Interested to learn more.

JackDaniels
08-24-2010, 10:59 PM
I'll search around, but does anyone have links to where this has been discussed? Interested to learn more.

Search for post # 13 in this thread.

TheRoland
08-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Search for post # 13 in this thread.

Thanks, I read it. I was hoping for more, or primary sources.

TheRoland
08-24-2010, 11:10 PM
here you go:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/69212-Moron-downrange-photographer

Woah. Some of the links off that thread are.... interesting.

arlow
08-24-2010, 11:55 PM
I dont know why some of you just post links when you can embed the video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-fjrRB7WPQ

Another_David
08-25-2010, 12:53 AM
This video clip was shown in the movie Bulletproof Salesman, which is a documentary about a German armored car salesman. The salesman shows it as an example of what can happen to contractors driving soft-skinned cars.

good movie btw, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1186201/

drgrant
08-25-2010, 01:54 AM
I dont know why some of you just post links when you can embed the video....

....because back when this thread was originally posted NES didn't have embedding. [grin]

-Mike

ManBearPig
08-27-2010, 11:40 PM
I'm just some moron on the internet, but it looks like they're not really operating as a team. Were they just thrown together? A shame that it cost lives.

And what the heck is that guy doing with a 9-inch barreled 9mm MP5? I would have thought that would be non-optimal for the distances they'd be likely to encounter.

Sometimes teams are assembled on the fly by companies. For example, the incident that involved those 4 Blackwater contractors (it made a big splash in the news and the resulting politics derailed what the USMC was trying to do in the area) who were killed, that team was assembled a day before the operation. Terrible yes, even worse was that they didn't have maps or armored cars. They got lost and got killed. If they have worked together for years previously, that wouldn't have changed the outcome. Companies are about making money and internal politics usually play a role in putting together teams that haven't worked before, under-equipped for the job.

Security details are for close protection only. They are not an offensive force. I wrote in a previous post that SOP is to drive through an attack instead of dismounting and fighting. This is the reason why they carry PDWs like the MP5 and not as many ARs.